+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  Fringeworthy
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fringeworthy  (Read 1945 times)
Bill

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2011, 01:50:53 AM »

Well, one of my gamers, Martin, is preparing to launch his GURPS Fringeworthy campaign this weekend.

He's asked me to host the first two parts of the background story, so I've got them in a Skydrive[/i] folder.

We can't post our characters, as we're supposed to keep most of them secret as we will have a lot of reveals during the game.

The pictures in the Character Pictures folder are all of my two characters.  Eventually, we should have more.
Christopher
Administrator

Resistance is worthwhile.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:54:45 PM »

Wow, 60+ pages of back story, that's impressive.  I gotta say, the first girl had it coming... you don't just walk into Mordor and everyone knows that you shouldn't wear flats on a hike or else you'll get thrown off the mountain.

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »

Oh, it's not done yet . . ..  We're hashing out a couple more chapters at the moment.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:30:53 PM »

All right, I had to post this.

During the game on Sunday, while my main (Jillian) was, um, indisposed, Kim’s character, Aaron, was functionally leading the group.  For those of you who have read the background, you’ll recognize the character I’m talking about, Kim Fallon.

Agent Fallon shot two of the gate guards, point-blank, in the head and fled through the gate.  Now, Fallon wasn’t Fringeworthy before, so we were sent after her.  We found her ID at Cannibal Gate, on our Alternate platform.  We were joined by a Roman who came from up the fringe paths.  We’re, functionally, at war with the Romans. 

Through a complicated series of events, Aaron promises the Roman Jack’s gun (Jack is our party heavy and he’s packing an M249) to rescue Fallon.  Which he does by killing and reviving her—four times!  Not cool.

Jack, as predicted by everyone, refuses to hand over his gun.  So, when we’re back at a rebuilt Trinity, Aaron turns over a different M249 to the Roman and then has all the guards open up on him.  And they shot the portal a number of times.

There are eight people in the party.  Gina (my alternate), Jack, James, Cyrus and Jaden all permanently lost 1 IQ and 1 HT.  Sienna, Pat and Aaron all permanently lost 3 IQ and 2 HT.

A little bit later, Jaden pulls a moronic move and manages to get an additional permanent loss of 2 IQ.

I, later, commented to Martin (the GM) that when Jillian recovers and reads the reports she’s going to be pissed.  The fact that half the reports will be written in crayon will not make that any better for her.

Aaron and Jillian used to be tied as the party brains with IQ 14.  Now, Jillian has an IQ 16 (keeps buying her IQ up as her back story depicts her continuing to get smarter), and Aaron has an IQ 11.

After doing the math, the party lost a total of 390 points due to Aaron’s actions, and Jaden’s stupidity cost him an additional 40 points.  So, we lost 430 points . . . almost 3, entire character’s worth (we’re 150 pt characters).

It was awesome!
Christopher
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 11:55:16 PM »

Oooooh.  What was the mechanic that lead to all the IQ loss?

magone

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:20:33 AM »

It's part of the make up of the Gates, how they react to so much violent energy thrown at them...or as "Movie Guy" would say "Some things do not react well to bullets!"
magone

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 01:24:37 AM »

Well that and I did give them an out, the ALWAYS ominous "Are you SURE you want to do that?"

He did.

It did.

They did.

I do have to give everyone credit, everyone stayed in character and played it through and did not give Aaron one iota of crap for his action. When we talked later he did say that given the situation he would have done it again.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »

That's not quite true.  Cyrus gave him a lot of crap for his actions . . . even Jack was upset.  Though, as Aaron said, it was Jack's own, stupid fault for not taking the hint.  While it sucked . . . it's better than Rome getting automatic weapons and smokeless powder.
Christopher
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 02:37:17 PM »

While it sucked . . . it's better than Rome getting automatic weapons and smokeless powder.

Hey, I have that game.  It's called FVLMINATA.

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 07:00:21 PM »

Wow.  Keelia was on fire tonight.  We're still playing, but this is just some of the stuff that she spouted off:

We spent most of our night on a world with anthropomorphic animals:
Martin (GM):  "The goat-man’s name is Orman."
Keelia:  Shouldn’t it be “Pan?”

A little later, in the same conversation.

Martin:  "He had a family."
Keelia:  “Did he have any kids?

A little later.

Keelia:  “So, now I’m in a truck full of anthro animals driving away from the base . . . what am I doing?”
Me:  “NOW you ask.”

Keelia, after having learned the animal language (with a special ability) while talking to an Otter she rescued.

Keelia:  “I’m not like you, I only have head fur and gonad fur.”
Rest of party:  “GONAD FUR!?”
Party devolves into helpless laughter.
tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 08:46:19 AM »

Wow.  Keelia was on fire tonight.  We're still playing, but this is just some of the stuff that she spouted off:

(SNIP)

Keelia's one-liners are some of the best parts about gaming over at your place.  Grin

"Our problem is, our plans never survive contact with US!" -Christopher Denny, veteran gamer, incorrigible punster.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »

Yeah, pretty much.

When she's on, she's just awesome.

I couldn't keep up with what she was saying most of the night, it was just a steady stream of hilarity.

One of the others, about Keelia's character, James:

Jerry:  "So, James just loaded them up in one of the trucks and drove off?"
Kim:  "Yep."
Jerry:  "Did he say where he was going or what his plan was?"
Kim:  "This is James we're talking about; It's completely possible that was his plan."

ETA:
This is Season 3 of Fringeworthy.  A lot of things have happened, and the previous party has been retired.

I’m running Symphony, a young, amnesiac woman who, apparently, was a sociopath.  She is acting as the party leader because no one else will do it.  She doesn’t know who she used to be, and, hasn’t liked any of the reveals she’s seen.

Kim’s running German, based on Garland Greene from Con Air.  He’s a serial killer who sees that some people have to die, and has taken it upon himself to kill them, so they don’t suffer unduly.  He’s trying to be a better person.

Jerry is playing Richard (or, to quote Kim, to help Martin “When you see Jerry, think ‘Dick’”), an architect who knowingly used sub-standard building materials and had a building collapse and kill thousands of people.

Adam is playing Sam, which is his original character’s twin sister.  And playing about the same.  During character creation Adam was complaining that he couldn’t make her as smart as Jillian and as combat-monstery as Jack.  I pointed out that wasn’t a flaw, but simply him trying to do too many things at once on a limited point budget.

Keelia is playing James, a fire-fighter who desperately wants to be a hero.  To the point that he was setting fires just so he could rescue people.  He recently died, and, through a complicated series of events we cloned him.  Most of us now call him James 2.0.

----

Jerry:  “The Nazi-Dogs are the Anubis dogs?”
Keelia:  “I’ll bet there’s a Hitler dog!”
Kim:  “He would have to be a pug.”

Sam:  “We should just make another clone and start with James 3.0.”
Symphony:  “That’s a horrible idea.  You know what happens if you make a copy of a copy.”

Martin (to Jerry):  “I’d have you smack her, but you might hit her soft spot, and then you’d be stuck changing her diaper.”
Me:  “He already does.  Keelia hasn’t mastered the safety pin or Velcro.”
Keelia:  “Safety pins hurt when I get poked!  They aren’t safe at all!”
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 10:55:41 PM by Bill » Logged
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 07:14:17 AM »

Are you guys looking for any more players for this? I've always been interested in it, but have never had time for it before now.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2015, 04:09:05 PM »

I'll check with Martin and see if he's looking for additional players.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length