+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  Heavy Metal Album Cover Evil
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Heavy Metal Album Cover Evil  (Read 3315 times)
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »

PS- I miss HMACE.

You know, I was thinking about this the other day, and I could totally get back into the right frame of mind for HMACE ... it's actually really close to the Cabal-verse in a lot of ways, as I've been dipping more into original-source occult history and folklore than the Gygaxian Derivatives of those things. We might have to reboot a little, or at least do some creative retcon to accommodate a changing roster and evolving ideas, but I'd be up for it.

I'm really itching to try out Ritual Path Magic as opposed to going back to default GURPS magic, though ... How would you feel about the reboot/retcon shuffling things in the background a little, to use a Monster Hunters (450-500 points, RPM, Wildcards) framing as opposed to DF (300 points, standard Magic & skills)?
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2014, 05:07:55 PM »

I'm really itching to try out Ritual Path Magic as opposed to going back to default GURPS magic, though ... How would you feel about the reboot/retcon shuffling things in the background a little, to use a Monster Hunters (450-500 points, RPM, Wildcards) framing as opposed to DF (300 points, standard Magic & skills)?

Objectively: Sounds fine, sure.

Personally: Depends mostly on how it affects my PC's ability to use magic. ;]

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

Just for the record, since I somehow never posted it here, this is the awesome original version:

Professor Grimnoggin, Half-Ogre Scholar [300]:

Image: A very scholarly-looking half-ogre.

Culture: TL 4ish [0]; Familiarity: Faerun [0]; Languages: Common (Native / Native) [0];

Attributes: ST 17 [70]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 14 [80]; HT 16 [60];

Secondaries: BL 58#; Dam 1d+2 / 3d-1; Spd 7.0 [0]; Mov 7 [0]; HP 17 [0]; FP 16 [0]; Perception 15 [5]; Willpower 14 [0];

Advantages: Book-Learned Wisdom x2 (2, 2) [18]; Damage Resistance x1 (Tough Skin -40%) [3]; Eidetic Memory (Regular) [5]; Fearlessness +1 [2]; Intuition [15]; Night Vision x3 [3]; Wild Talent x1 (No Advantage Requirements +50%) [30];

Disadvantages: Appearance (Ugly) [-8]; Bad Temper (15-) [-5]; Curious (6-) [-10]; Intolerance (IQ 10-) [-5]; Oblivious [-5]; Post-Combat Shakes (12-) [-5]; Skinny [-5]; Social Stigma (Savage) [-10]; Xenophilia (9-) [-15];

Quirks: Mildly Absent-Minded [-1]; Mildly Overconfident [-1]; Mild Short Attention Span [-1]; Pedantic [-1]; Proud [-1];

Skills: Alchemy (VH) IQ-2 [2]-12; Broadsword (A) DX+2 [8]-14; Cartography (A) IQ [2]-14; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-11; First Aid/TL4 (E) IQ [1]-14; Hazardous Materials/TL4 (A) (Magical) IQ-1 [1]-13; Hidden Lore (Lost Civilizations) (A) IQ [2]-14, (Magic Items) (A) IQ [2]-14, (Magical Writings) (A) IQ [2]-14; Observation (A) Per-1 [1]-14; Research (A) IQ [2]-14; Scrounging (E) Per [1]-15; Search (A) Per-1 [1]-14; Shield (E) DX+2 [4]-14; Sling (H) DX [4]-12; Speed-Reading (A) IQ [2]-14; Stealth (A) DX-1 [1]-11; Survival (A) (Mountain) Per-1 [1]-14; Teaching (A) IQ-1 [1]-13; Thaumatology (VH) IQ-3 [1]-11; Traps (A) IQ-1 [1]-13; Writing (A) IQ-1 [1]-13;

Equipment: Longsword (3d Cut / 1d+4 Imp); Sling w/Rocks (3d-1 Cr); Med Shield (DB +2); Unyielding Hvy Leather Armor of Lightness (DR 3); Shield Lectern; Writing Implements; Lots of Books;

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 06:28:09 PM »

Overall it might be a little harder for him to use magic, unless he buys at least Magery 0. He can attempt to cast a ritual at default using Thaumatology (all Path skills default to Thaum -6, and another -5 without Magery), or he can use Wild Talent to waive the Magery requirement ... then he's just using unmodified Thaumatology, because Path skills are capped by Thaum. He can't use Book-Learned Wisdom for Path skills, because he lacks Magery.

Taking Magery 0 and putting another point into Thaumatology would let him use Book-Learned Wisdom to simulate any Path skill at level 12. He could even go higher if magic is a priority; all Path skills cap out at the lower of (12+Magery) or Thaumatology skill level, so he can use Wild Talent to cast at the lower of IQ or Thaum, even if he lacks Magery. The Sage template from MH has Magery 3 and a few Paths at level 15 or lower, and magic is only his secondary shtick. Speaking of which, the Sage's Lore! wildcard may also be of interest to Prof G.

In any case, lacking Ritual Adept [40], he'll be using the rules for Non-Adept casters, meaning that each casting roll takes several minutes, and requires things like a magic circle or sacred space, a connection to the target (via sympathy or contagion), etc., to avoid further penalties. He can accrue bonuses with appropriate ritual accoutrements and occult paraphernalia ... skills like Ritual Magic (Hermeticism) and Symbol Drawing would allow him to draw magical circles, invoke Decans for auspicious correspondences, etc., to get further bonuses.

More Candles and Pentagrams, less fireball-slinging.

However, there is one feature of RPM that he'll almost certainly want to take advantage of, one way or another: Charms and Conditional rituals, which can be cast beforehand and triggered in more adventuring-useful time-frames. Echoes of "Vancian magic."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length