+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  HMACE - Characters and Pregens
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HMACE - Characters and Pregens  (Read 4184 times)
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 06:23:04 PM »

Yeah I noticed that.  I was trying to scrape 75 points together and forgot.

...And you'll probably want Recover Energy, to speed up FP and ER recovery.

Worse, I plugged him into GCS, and it says you're 4 points over (unless I entered things wrong).... :/

(PDF attached)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:11:34 PM by Lex » Logged
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 06:40:41 PM »

Y'know, this party still needs an official Evil Overlord, and since Kelan is ideal EO material (down to having his soul hidden away in a jar, like Koschei), not to mention the only serious candidate so far, I say go ahead and use the original version, and add Unkillable (Soul Jar) on top of that.

Attached: Added back in the stuff you dropped to afford Unkillable, a few levels of Magery, Psychic Guidance, and Recovery Energy. Let me know what you'd like to change, and he should be good to go except for gear.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 07:27:22 PM by Lex » Logged
Ryan Scott

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »

It's fine  to just say the soul jar was a one use jar, needs a new construct that takes a ton of magic, materials, etc.    I just was doing flavor for the story.
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 03:07:47 PM »

It's fine  to just say the soul jar was a one use jar, needs a new construct that takes a ton of magic, materials, etc.    I just was doing flavor for the story.

That's not very Evil of you -- passing up free points! Of course, with Evil, there's always a price to be paid....
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 02:49:03 PM »

I was thinking of a peasant who's family was persecuted by the church and now seeks utter and total revenge on civil society.  His experience watching his village burn and people he loved die continues to roil within him.   Basically a battleaxe wielding madman with a single driven goal: slay his way through the Vatican and kill the Pope with his bloodied bare hands.

Here (attached PDF) is an alternate build of Fen that might be fun. It's similar to the original, but takes into account how you (Robin) played him -- homicidal, impulsive, obsessive -- and dumps his various outdoor abilities in favor of being a better Psycho Killer.

His Unholy Might abilities are something of a mystery to him. Sometime after the crusaders razed his village and slaughtered everyone he ever knew, he awoke amidst the smoldering buildings and corpses, with memories of fighting back, killing several crusaders with a burst of abnormal strength and resilience, but ultimately succumbing to at least half a dozen fatal wounds.

But he was fine when he awoke, not a scratch on him -- and in fact, he no longer felt any pain or fear, only the burning desire to avenge himself and his people on the ones responsible.

Here's a breakdown of his new traits. All are Unholy, meaning that they can be interfered with by supernatural means, and may be less effective on sacred ground, etc. He doesn't really know where they came from, but he has a general sense that they're his in the service of Revenge.

Daredevil means he gets a +1 to all skill rolls, and can re-roll critical failures, when taking "unreasonable/unnecessarily risks" -- e.g. charging headlong into combat against great odds, etc.

Ghostly Movement lets him "teleport" up to 10 yards, but only if no one is watching him. This simulates the ability of the Psycho Killer to suddenly appear from around the corner in front of the fleeing victim, etc. To use this in combat, he must take a Move maneuver.

Higher Purpose gives him a +1 (on top of Daredevil, if applicable) to all rolls (skill, damage, defense, etc) when trying to kill Holy Warriors or Paladins (including Knights of Thule).

Regeneration heals 1 HP per hour, for as long as he's alive, from any damage other than Holy (inflicted by the spells and powers of Cleric, Holy Warriors, Angels, etc).

Unfazeable means he never has to make Fright Checks under normal circumstances, and gets a +10 on Cosmic Horror Fright Checks. In general, things that others find horrifying or bizarre don't bother him -- he can still recognize and react to a threat, but he doesn't panic or get weirded-out by the abnormal or the macabre.

Unkillable means simply that he can't be killed, except by literally hacking him to pieces (or burning him to ashes, etc -- reducing him to -100 HP [EDIT: pardon me, that's -200]), or by rendering him unconscious and then performing the Last Rites. He can still be knocked out, but as long as his body isn't completely destroyed or given a proper burial, he'll get better.

Forgettable Face just means that (when not covered in gore and carrying a bloodstained axe) he looks like Joe Peasant, just another medieval face in the medieval crowd.

Impulsive means he tends to act before thinking, and generally has the impulse control of your average Psycho Killer.

He has a particular Obsession with killing members of the Church, and will do so compulsively unless he makes a self-control roll (12-) when presented with the opportunity.

On the Edge means he's not really concerned with dying, and will complusively take risks in dangerous situations. It's sort of the flip-side of Daredevil, which gives him a bonus when acting out these compulsions.

The upshot: he's pretty hard to knock down, and even harder to actually kill, unless the enemy knows to take special measures. He can dish out a lot damage in combat, though enemies with good defenses will be able to reliably avoid his attacks. With Ghostly Movement and a little sneakiness, however, he can line up devastating surprise/blind-side attacks -- or strangulations (Garrote or Wrestling), etc.

You can decide whether you want to play this version or the original (Barbarian) build ... the main difference is that this one is a bit tougher, while the barbarian has a bunch of wilderness and survival skills (which may come up later).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 04:41:33 PM by Lex » Logged
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 02:53:34 PM »

Well, here is a rough cut of my wizard.  Kelan Cirdan [...]

So, Kelan is obviously known by the Forces of Light as a traitor, apostate, and all-around Very Bad Man. To the best of his knowledge, they think he's dead ... but being a former Magus of the Sacred Mysteries himself, he knows that they're fully aware of the magics that he was tempted by, and have powerful seers and diviners in their midst. He may be officially listed as dead in the Inquisition's records, but the Magi put an asterisk next to the ruling.

In essence, Kelan has a number of unpleasant Enemies, theoretically kept at bay by the Secret of his survival. Tipping his hand too soon will bring them to his door before his plans are complete, but seeing the looks on their faces when they realize it's him -- but it's too late to stop him! MUAAAHAHAHAHAAA!! -- will be worth every moment spent parlaying with goblins and camping in caves.

He also has a Contact Group (Demonic Voices, Skill 15, Unreliable, Appear on 15-, Highly Accessible), representing that sometimes the voices give him useful information, such as revealing dark secrets about someone, helping him locate forbidden lore, etc.

Kelan can still have the Soul Jar in-effect if you like. It's not just free points, but also something of a liability ... it makes him easier to locate magically, and if captured, it can be used against him to devastating effect. I suppose we could build those liabilities in as further Limitations, but I'm not going to worry about it -- despite my initial "holy crap, that's a lot of free points!" reaction, I don't see it ruining anyone's for you to have that, so I'll leave it up to you.

One way or another, Kelan is our leading contender for Evil Overlord ... chances are good that he brought the other PCs together (hired Jinx and Prof. Grimnoggin, summoned Thraxis, etc), and once they've established their stronghold, he'll be arriving to begin the next phase.

This doesn't mean that the other characters have to obey him or anything, but he's the natural leader of the group, a charismatic megalomaniac with the vision (and voices in his head) to Go The Distance.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 03:04:16 PM by Lex » Logged
Ryan Scott

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »

Kelan is a Megalomaniac but he does have that whole Charisma thing going for him.  He knows he isn't in a position with enough actual thralls to let his true nature show and bring his dominance to bear against his erstwhile allies. 

I was going to suggest that you play the voices out somewhat amusingly.  I almost wanted to make a fetish (Undead Rat? Go for the eyes undead Boo, go for the eyes!) that would ride around on his shoulder and 'talk' to him or others ( It's actually Kelan talking) out loud.  Basically a full blown version of what got him originally burned as an apostate.  This would be up to you to use as dramatic license to have the voices interact with others, and not just Kelan.  I would take the points for delusion and odious personal habit and replace jealousy, but I think the voices wouldn't interfere with him coaxing minions into joining his legion to fight the forces of good. 

As for Soul Jar I would like to not have it in effect.  With the soul jar and megalomania, he would feel untouchable and focus like a laser on becoming god-king pronto.  I want his position to be a bit more tenuous to start with. This will give him another goal.  Plus I'd feel like a munchkin with level 20 spells and unkillable. 

Ryan Scott

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »

Actually, we can attach the fetish it to his personality change quirk.  He only has the voices talk out loud when the fetish is with him, but he can only receive the contact group benefits if it is present.  They aren't connected to the material plane enough or whatever unless they are 'inhabiting' the fetish.

The code of honor quirk will be the remnants of his original self before the voices.  Basically whenever things happen that are outside his quest to gain total power he will fall back into good guy mode.  He will help stranded kittens, old ladies across streets, etc.  Then without any remorse, will sack and burn the entire village he just did all those little good deeds in if it is in furtherance of his plans.
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »

Kelan is a Megalomaniac but he does have that whole Charisma thing going for him.  He knows he isn't in a position with enough actual thralls to let his true nature show and bring his dominance to bear against his erstwhile allies. 

Totally ... he's charismatic and insightful enough to be quite congenial and fair-dealing with anyone who's useful to him. He just has a very nasty side when someone crosses him, or gets in his way....

I was going to suggest that you play the voices out somewhat amusingly.  I almost wanted to make a fetish (Undead Rat? Go for the eyes undead Boo, go for the eyes!) that would ride around on his shoulder and 'talk' to him or others ( It's actually Kelan talking) out loud.  Basically a full blown version of what got him originally burned as an apostate.  This would be up to you to use as dramatic license to have the voices interact with others, and not just Kelan.  I would take the points for delusion and odious personal habit and replace jealousy, but I think the voices wouldn't interfere with him coaxing minions into joining his legion to fight the forces of good. 

If the voices give away his secrets, he could have the Easy to Read disadvantage, or maybe Compulsive Behavior (Exposition) -- in the finest style of James Bond villains, he's compelled to tell the heroes his plans, just before leaving them in an "inescapable" death trap and assuming they're dead.

But yeah, on the whole, the voices don't want to interfere with his plans, they want to help.... maybe they're just a bit too enthusiastic at times. (And some are gibbering lunatics, raving psychotics, homicidal maniacs, whispering tempters, etc.)

As for Soul Jar I would like to not have it in effect.  With the soul jar and megalomania, he would feel untouchable and focus like a laser on becoming god-king pronto.  I want his position to be a bit more tenuous to start with. This will give him another goal.  Plus I'd feel like a munchkin with level 20 spells and unkillable. 

Okely dokely ... though becoming a god-king is exactly what he's hoping to accomplish by heeding the voices -- this is his Fast-Track to Godhood:
1. Capture the Heirloom of Maldov
2. Unlock its secrets and achieve true immortality
3. ?? ??
4. GOD-KING!

Actually, we can attach the fetish it to his personality change quirk.  He only has the voices talk out loud when the fetish is with him, but he can only receive the contact group benefits if it is present.  They aren't connected to the material plane enough or whatever unless they are 'inhabiting' the fetish.

Nice! Yeah, maybe the fetish is actually something he found in the occult library of that manor house... a demonic statue or something. It's an even bet as to whether the statue is really possessed, or it's just a trigger for his psychosis. Or maybe it's the actual grimoire that he learned his necromantic spells from, or the journal that lead him to seek the Heirloom in the first place....

The code of honor quirk will be the remnants of his original self before the voices.  Basically whenever things happen that are outside his quest to gain total power he will fall back into good guy mode.  He will help stranded kittens, old ladies across streets, etc.  Then without any remorse, will sack and burn the entire village he just did all those little good deeds in if it is in furtherance of his plans.

I like it!

Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2014, 02:01:40 PM »

HMACE retcon/reboot in t-minus 5... 4...

So who's in? Now recruiting wannabe Dark Overlords and Immortal Sorcerer-Kings for Sunday night blasphemy and conspiracy. Email pending for those who don't check the boards...

P.S. Check the first page of this thread for (evolving) character guidelines.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »

HMACE retcon/reboot in t-minus 5... 4...

So who's in? [snip]

Professor Grimnoggin, reporting for duty.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 08:27:13 AM »

Non-humans, magic, the supernatural, and even "infidels" are the stuff of legend and superstition in most places... everyone fully believes in them, but they've been brought up to believe that all such beings and powers are Evil. Whether Faeries, Vampires, or Moors, those who have turned their back on the Holy Light are uniformly wicked and malevolent in the eyes of God-Fearing folks.

So, question regarding this take on the setting: is a half-Ogre character like Grimnoggin even viable as an ostensibly-productive member of society? I've pictured him actually having a formal education and lecturing somewhere when he's not adventuring, like Dr. Henry Jones Jr, with reaction penalties but not getting run out of town on a rail by default.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2014, 08:04:18 AM »

So, question regarding this take on the setting: is a half-Ogre character like Grimnoggin even viable as an ostensibly-productive member of society? I've pictured him actually having a formal education and lecturing somewhere when he's not adventuring, like Dr. Henry Jones Jr, with reaction penalties but not getting run out of town on a rail by default.

It's most likely that he teaches (or taught) at a Black School (secret Devil's school of witchcraft, like a more sinister Hogwarts), depending on his subjects of expertise. That might have even given him an impetus for adventure, if the occult academy that he taught at was discovered and put to the torch by the Forces of Light.

He could also have a reasonable disguise, alternate identity, or even really stellar reputation (and probably a Contact or Patron in some influential academic circle, to keep him out of trouble) which he uses to lecture at more mainstream universities. But as a half-ogre (and a presumably unbaptized one), he's one step below a Moor in the eyes of the Church, so he's a big lumbering fella treading on thin ice.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length