+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  I can't believe it's not Earthdawn
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: I can't believe it's not Earthdawn  (Read 7336 times)
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 04:47:33 AM »

Reconnaissance Team Alpha After-Action Report of David M. F. Spencer III
Community Service: Day 2
CC: Vault 385 Parole Board
3 / 26 / 2115

I did my second day of court-ordered community service today. I was assigned to patrol outside the vault with Steve, Jan, Jon, Don, Luke, Matt, and Raoul again. I was 100% successful in all tasks and want confirmation of my 8 hours of credit in writing like last time.

It's still really cold outside, especially in the mountains. The mountains are really fucking big, especially when you get closer to them. I drove the team towards the Breckenridge vault in the mountains. [crude map included] I'm getting good at this driving shit.

We looted a few buildings and found some good trade goods, and then we met a GIANT TALKING RAT! I shit you not Seriously, I'm not making this up! It was a human-sized rat and it offered to sell us human slaves and guns and candy bars and all kinds of sh trade items. Talking rats with human slaves! It's a post-magical-that popping thing they briefed us on nightmare out here. I should be getting time-and-a-half for this.

We looted some more buildings and found some tools and trade goods, then we drove some more and saw an air field. We got out of the truck and snuck up on a human and an elf arming some kind of airplane. Me, Matt, and Steve bushwhacked 'em and then me and Luke played Bad Cop / Good Cop. They totally spilled their guts to us, of course. They told us:

1) That whole Breckenridge Vault thing might not work out.

2) Apparently there's some kind of great lake of salt on the other side of the mountains. Seriously, a great lake of salt, with a city in it. Surely nothing can grow there, right? Do they just eat salt or magic or what? Scary.

3) The big city to the North of 385 is called "Denver," and has zombie-brain-pilot airplanes! Zombie-brain-pilot airplanes! They shake down the scrubs who live on the wasteland for food and slaves and stuff. They're also the ones who wire up people with exploding-head bombs like those guys we shot. I recommend that we do not fuck wi start fights with those guys.

4) The giant talking rats are called "Skaven" and they do magic! Giant talking motherfu wizard rats!

5) That glowy rock Don found is some kind of dangerous, addictive magical WMD! I told him to keep it the fuck away from me and the vault until I gave you guys the whole story, but I dunno, people sometimes sneak stuff past me.

We let the pilots go, cause we wanted to see what that felt like for a change. We had some MREs while we waited for them to leave. I really like the peach cobbler ones. MREs with peach cobbler make me feel real motivated to make maps and fight monsters. I think it might be some kind of magical peach effect. I bet Jon could look into it if he had a bunch of samples.

We drove to Canyon City [crude map included] and got a motel room. Me, Jon, Jan, and Matt scouted out a local social establishment and totally fucked some mouthy bitches up conducted ourselves in a manner befitting responsible citizens before hitting the sack.

-Dave
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 04:01:55 AM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2013, 09:28:26 AM »

Day 2 March 27, 2115

The team spent the day in Canyon City investigating the local society and economy.

Spencer, Hagen, Holmes and Lowman rejoined the team at breakfast, as planned, and reported that Canyon City had set aside a certain neighborhood for orks and trolls, with a saloon that catered to their special needs, including a boxing-ring in the basement. They reported that city police focused on restricting the more energetic activities of orks and trolls to their own facilities, so they wouldn’t be problematic for the safety and property of others. They also reported that local police focused on maintaining public order, and enforced no laws against vice, since apparently there are no such laws.

Please note! The orks and trolls are not RESTRICTED to their own neighborhoods. It’s just that they have to behave themselves while outside of their own district. While inside their own district, they behave more freely, and this apparently provides a useful outlet for stressful emotions. Spencer, Hagen, Holmes and Lowman unanimously reported favorably about this social development, and said their investigation had resulted in only minor injuries. Also, Spencer had apparently won some sort of regard in the community, but the group was vague about details.

Further investigation of the Canyon City shops and markets indicated the settlement’s economy is mostly agricultural, with some support services for the farms and trade caravans. The economy mostly relies on barter and has few luxuries of any sort. Goods that rely on chemistry (even such simple items as soap) seem in short supply, although heavy metal implements for work seem available in sufficient quantities (although handmade and of only average quality).

Garments made from salvaged and locally-woven cloth are available in decent quantity, and the team replaced their V385 equipment with items that allowed them to blend in better with the locals.

Other good available included assault rifles based on the AK-47 model (these seem to be available everywhere), shotguns (usually 12-gauge) and revolvers (usually .45 or .38, and the quality is good).

The team also learned that local enchanters could cast spells to lighten equipment, improve accuracy, increase damage or (in the case of armor) make it more protective. However, they usually could do only one type of enhancement to any one piece of equipment, and charged a lot for it.

As noted, the basis of the economy is barter trade, and no currency exists. The most desireable commodity proved to be a mineral called “ghost rock,” which resembles coal veined with a white substance.

The ghost rock apparently uses magic to enhance performance, in some way. When burned in a boiler, it makes machinery work more efficiently. It is also distillable (see notes appended) and when distilled forms the basis of warp stones, but in its raw form ghost rock is not nearly as toxic and is widely used, which gives it universal value.

During the course of the day, we traded salvaged medicines and narcotics for 5 pistols of 9 mm, 2 AK-47 assault rifles, a shotgun and an MP5, as well as 10 lbs of ghost rock. The alcoholic beverages supplied by the vault also traded quite well, and the local hotel/restaurant purchased an exclusive contract for the supply (see legal agreement appended). The jewelry also went for what seemed to be a decent price.

Carvel made extensive inquiries about magical knowledge, and learned it was quite restrictive. Most spells are passed along in an apprenticeship-type program, and the knowledge is guarded carefully. His inquiries confirmed some of the information from the Oasis pilots.

-Apparently, Oasis is the safest place and spells can be learned there.

-Some sort of academy exists a week’s travel by vehicle to the northeast, in an area called Twin Cities.

-A third location of learning exists further west from Oasis, in a place known as Lost Wages. However, Lost Wages had been subjected to a nuclear strike, and is surrounded by many dangerous mutants.

-An organized settlement of some sort exists in the old Pacific Northwest, but little information was gained, other than they were “strange.”

-The “Combine” group located in Denver should be avoided at all costs, unless traveling with Skaven, who seem to have permission to trade, there.

The local service-providers traded in the markets in the form of “chits,” the most common of which were “food chits” issued by the local restaurant, and “brothel chits” issued by the local house of prostitution.

Holmes demonstrated their universal tradability (see previous notes re absence of vice laws) by purchasing meals and other good with brothel chits she had somehow acquired.

The exchange rate seemed to be 10 ounces of ghost rock equals one brothel chit, which in turn equates to four food chits. Holmes reported that brothel chits equated to about 30 minutes of “service” in the brothel, which was divided into two wings, one for service to orks and trolls, and the other to service of other human types.

A visit to the brothel resulted in what seemed to be a good price for the salvaged soaps, towels and robes. The ork madam was quite gracious, and had apparently met with Holmes, the previous night.

The team next visited the encampment of the Skaven trade caravan, which also validated intelligence gained by the Oasis pilots. The caravan consisted of 50-100 Skaven, in total, who ranged in size from about 1.5 meters tall, up to nearly six meters in height (with strength to match). The musky smell previously noted seems to be a universal trait, and the caravan did, in fact, trade in slaves of all human physio-types. (See Duke’s photos and video log, attached to this report.)

The team traded most of its remaining goods to the Skaven caravan, in exchange for 125 lbs of ghost rock, and eight weapons that had been magically enhanced.

Overall, we our trade had gained for us:

135 lbs of ghost rock
8 magical weapons (enchantments on them cost 20-50 lbs of ghost rock EACH)
50 food chits
About two dozen brothel chits

We traded some of that, with costs as follows:

A .45 caliber revolver, with 12 silver bullets (blessed by a local priest) and 50 rounds of regular ammunition trades for 13 brothel chits.
A 12 gauge sawed-off “whippet” shotgun, a 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, three changes of clothes, a broad-brimmed hat and a long leather “duster” coat traded for the jewelry salvaged in Penrose.

A .30-30 lever-action rifle with 10 rounds of ammunition trades for 5 lbs of ghost rock
A .22 varmint rifle with 100 rounds of ammunition trades for 2 lbs of ghost rock
A fuel pump for our vehicle traded for 10 ounces of ghost rock.

(Consult with other team members for details of other individual transactions.)

During the day, Spencer also made contact with a group of orks who specialized in salvage jobs and other speculative ventures. They reported a ranger station located in the mountains several hours northwest of Canyon City could have up to three salvageable vehicles, and perhaps other trade goods, as well. They offered to sell him the location of the ranger station, should we retrieve one of the vehicles, for them. All other vehicles, and any miscellaneous goods, would go to the retrieval team.

The team then opted to return to V385 so as to provide updated intelligence, and warning about the existence of the Skaven, their reported actions taken successfully against vaults, and to drop off samples of magical Skaven weapons, assault rifles and other goods.

(This ended the second day of activity, and this section of the report provides additional detail about intelligence previously delivered verbally, the evening of March 27.)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 09:36:56 AM by tshiggins » Logged

"Our problem is, our plans never survive contact with US!" -Christopher Denny, veteran gamer, incorrigible punster.
tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »

Day 3 – March 28, 2115

The morning after the emergency briefing, the team once again set off from Vault 385, in the direction of Breckenridge, with no intent to return until the objective had been reached. After some discussion, the group opted to investigate the ranger station information attained by Spencer, as the acquisition of additional vehicles, or even trade goods, could facilitate the mission.

As such, the team proceeded to Canyon City, and then took the old highway northwest, from that location. We reached the trail to the ranger station, concealed our pickup truck, and then proceeded on foot, as suggested by Spencer’s contacts.

The hike proved mostly uneventful, except for on instance where some sort of movement was noted in the trees, and Spencer reacted by firing his weapon at it, with no visible effect.

Upon reaching the ranger station, we discovered that Spender’s information was correct, and three heavy armored cars had been mothballed, there. All fragile parts and tires had been stored in lubricants and preservatives, but Holmes said she could very likely get them running, in a couple of days, with help. Given her assessment, we decided to camp at the station, and conduct a thorough investigation of the contents.

Lowman proceeded to the roof of the building to stand sentry. We later learned that he had failed to secure the door, behind him, which proved a nearly-fatal mistake.

-The station was apparently controlled by a group called the, “Rocky Mountain Association,” as of about 2080 (35 years ago). It remained in service for nearly a decade, but then had to close due to lack of support as the territory formerly known as the state of Colorado fragmented.

-Documents that had been well-preserved – including some very good maps – provided broader geographical knowledge. Vault 38 is several miles north of the old Highway 50, between Pueblo and Cañon City, in an old mine near what had been a salvage yard.

-The road northwest out of Cañon City was Colorado Highway 9 and ran straight to Breckenridge, through the town of Fairplay.

(See high-resolution photos of all documents, attached.)

Toward the evening, the team became aware the ranger station had been infiltrated by opponents cloaked in some sort of magic that rendered them nearly invisible. A firefight ensued, during which several members of the team, including Hendricks, sustained serious injuries. However, the team prevailed in the chaotic conflict, and the assailants proved to be elves, in magical cloaks.

The elves reported they had a settlement nearby, and claimed this part of the mountains as their territory. They had spotted the group during the hike to the station, and had assumed hostile intent when fired upon by Spencer, and decided to attack without warning, or even attempts to communicate.

After strenuous negotiation, the elves departed and agreed to allow us to take the vehicles and any goods from the Ranger station. This was facilitated by the fact that, while most of the elves sustained serious injuries, none had died and the team had used magic and first aid to stabilize them, after their surrender. At the suggestion of Hendricks and Hagen, two of the orks – Spencer and Nolan, as well as Lowman – removed themselves from the room in which the negotiations took place.

This resulted in a sequence of events, the source of which proved most disconcerting. Spencer and Nolan decided to investigate the kitchen. There, they later reported what seemed to be functioning refrigerator filled with cold milk and boxes of cookies of various types labeled, “Girl Scouts of America,” which they reported to the group. The negotations were still under way, so no one else thought through the implications at that time, and the two orks and the troll returned to the kitchen.

At the conclusion of the negotiations and the departure of the elves, the strangeness of the presence of the food items (and the functional refrigerator) became apparent. Most of the team went to the kitchen, and noted no such foodstuffs, and the refrigerator was no cold and had no power. They also discovered that Nolan, Spencer and Lowman were missing.

A hasty search was formed and the group eventually found the stairs to the basement. A search of the basement revealed a passageway to a large cavern, in which was found a pallet covered with a canvas. Removal of the canvas caused a large cloud of dust, and the group noticed a second passage out, and nothing beneath the canvas.

The group took the canvas with them, and proceeded out the second passage. We then found ourselves emerging from the side of a hill, on to a warm, sunny prairie with lots of wild flowers. The entrance in the hillside, behind, disappeared.

Initially, the team suspected they had fallen into some sort of chemical hallucination, but then realized that could not be the case, as we all were having the same experience. We then proceeded along a path, and soon located the missing members of the group.

They said they had eaten some of the cookies and drank some of the milk, at which point they noticed the back of the refrigerator concealed a hidden door. They then proceeded through the door, and found themselves by some magical means in the prairie, with no way back.

The group explored along the trail, for awhile, until a settlement was reached. It appeared to be under construction, with most buildings made of wood, despite the fact that no forest was located anywhere nearby.

The people of the settlement, which consisted entirely of base human forms and elves, expressed some dismay at the presence of the orks and the troll, but were otherswise friendly. They said the “Master” had sent them to this place as a safe haven, and had not not offered passage to orks and trolls because their violent natures made them unsuitable. They inquired as to the means of our arrival and, when told of it, asked to see the canvas, as well as a doorknob brought by Spencer.

They examined the items, and then hung the canvas in a doorway to a wood-framed building still under construction. They inserted the doorknob into one of the grommets and turned it, and the canvas swung aside as if it where a door, and the basement of the ranger station appeared on the other side. The group went through and the door closed behind, leaving a blank wall.

We found this sequence of events unnerving, and created a second perimeter inside the ranger station, around the garage area where Holmes had continued to work. We focused on assisting her, and left late the next day, with two completed armored vehicles.

"Our problem is, our plans never survive contact with US!" -Christopher Denny, veteran gamer, incorrigible punster.
tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 11:56:19 AM »

Day 6-7, March 30-31, 2115

The group left early from Cañon City, and proceeded northwest along the route of the old Highway 9, in one of the armored vehicles from the ranger station. We recovered the pickup truck concealed previously, and with both vehicles made it an intersection with a sign that indicated the town of “Guffey” lay nearby. The group decided to investigate the town and found it mostly in ruins, with no salvage.

On the way out from Guffey, the armored vehicle was driven off the road and sustained damage to the undercarriage. We managed to make it out to the highway, and there encountered a small vehicle driven by an elf named, “Amy,” who said she scouted for a second trading caravan, which she called simply, “The Convoy.”

Amy confirmed much of the information previously gained, and corrected some of the rest.

-Oasis is apparently the safest and most friendly settlement in the region, and while the Convoy is an independent entity, it trades there frequently and Amy reports it is quite hospitable. She also said that, while the leader of the community is called “Reverend Jim,” it does not function as a religious government.

-She confirmed that most successful communities have quarters devoted to orks and trolls, that allow them to engage in forceful expression of emotion. This seems to work quite well, and helps calm them, the rest of the time.

-Apparently, the population of North America seems to have a larger number of Skaven than any other group. Skaven are located everywhere, but mostly stick to themselves, but are quite dangerous in large numbers. They seldom engage in sophisticated tactics, and rely on “wave” attacks, when they are aggressive. Amy said Skaven are highly opportunistic, but averse to risk, and forceful responses to initial aggression tend to result in the least problematic Skaven behavior from then on.

Amy reported the next major human settlement was Hartsel, and offered to guide us. We agreed and she set off at a high rate of speed. She returned when she realized our vehicles weren’t following that quickly, and we reached Hartsel by early afternoon.

(Below information was gained March 31, during the second day in Hartsel).

Hartsel is a community of about 1,100 people, located in a fertile valley, which acts as a trade center for surrounding farms and visiting caravans – both Skaven and the “Convoy.” It has formidable walls with automatic weapons, and it apparently enjoys atmospheric conditions that make it difficult for Combine hunter-killers (and other aircraft) to operate.

Following Amy’s advice, we stopped at a designated point until given permission to enter Hartsel. We parked the vehicles, and Amy made introductions to the leaders of the “Convoy,” who confirmed much of what we had already learned.

-Apparently, the only magical academy is located in the region formerly known as “Iowa.”

-Travel to Oasis is most hazardous between May and October. Mutated monsters tend to come out of hibernation in May, and remain highly active and aggressive until Autumn. Most travel stops in the high summer, as the majority of the population focuses on agricultural pursuits, and defense of their lives and crops from marauding creatures.

Holmes, Carver and Hagen made arrangements with Convoy leaders to secure needed spare parts, and we explored the larger markets of Hartsel. Once again, ghost rock functioned as a universally-accepted commodity in the barter economy. Hartsel mostly grows basic crops high in calories and carbohydrates, especially corn, rye, potatoes and wheat, but also produces a lot of onions.

Services include a saloon, a Motel 6 in good condition, a general store, a police station, a town doctor, a real city hall with an established government, and garage/machine shop/blacksmith.

Goods available in the general store include farming implements, rifles, personal basics such as clothing and (limited) toiletries, an ammunition press, and hand-woven clothing of wool and hemp, or some combination of those two fibers.

Once again, chemical commodities seem in short supply, if they exist at all. The farmers use no chemical fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides, have little soap, no dyes, and cotton cloth is highly valued – especially pre-cataclysm denim. They also utterly lack a grain mill of any sort, and grind cereals between two stones, which they called “metatay.” The bread in Hartsel contains a lot of sandy grit.

The town does have some electrical power, from small generators located away from the town and people. This mostly burns ghost rock.

Prices of local commodities were comparable to those in Cañon City, although a night at the Motel 6 costs 8 ounces.

Once again, we noted the presence of a quarter set aside for orks and trolls, and an absence of laws against vice. Despite the larger population, the town seemed less prone to violence than Cañon City, and the team found no evidence of any organized criminal activity.

By the end of the day, the team had completed repairs on the armored vehicle, but the Convoy still needed to secure parts for the pickup. We left it in Hartsel and proceeded toward Breckenridge the next day.

tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 12:44:54 PM »

Day 8, April 1, 2115.

The team left Hartsel in the early morning, and arrived in the vicinity of Breckenridge, by midday. Rather than the chaos anticipated, we found an orderly community surrounded by a perimeter fence made of wood, several miles long and supported by wooden watchtowers, with the vault door open into the side of the mountain. The community outside the wooden fence appears to have been stripped in an orderly fashion.

Upon securing entry into the perimeter, we found the temperature inside much warmer than that outside, and the town guard said it was kept that way, year ‘round, by a powerful spell cast by someone they called the “Master.”

This immediately made the team think of the experience at the ranger station, and we made further inquiries. The guards said the Master never appeared in public, but instead spoke through someone they called, “The Mistress.” The team expressed the desire to speak to this “Mistress,” and the guard promised to pass the request along.

The team then toured the well-organized and orderly town. We noted the presence of numerous elves and humans, and a few dwarves and gnomes, but no orks and trolls. The absence was unprecedented, as every other settlement had ample populations of both, with their own districts.

We eventually found a good restaurant with an excellent menu and beer selection. Once gain, ghost rock was an acceptable form of exchange. As we settled down to eat, a petite human woman appeared, accompanied by a couple of guards, and said she was the “Mistress.”

She joined us at the table, and discussed the history of the Breckenridge settlement. Apparently, the creators of Vault 383 dug deeply into the mountain, and broke into the lair of an ancient dragon, which had awoken due to the noise. A “tragic misunderstanding” ensued, and the dragon was forced to kill most of the vault dwellers. This dragon is “The Master,” and he – not Skaven – is responsible for the destruction of the vault.

This occurred about 70 years ago, and while the Master was not present at the time of the team’s arrival, the Mistress spoke on his behalf.

At that point, the team disclosed its experiences at the ranger station. The Mistress expressed dismay, and revealed that the Master had opened a portal to a parallel plane, and was moving population to that more peaceful place. She said he and several other incredibly powerful dragons had decided to abandon this world, and were taking communities of other beings with them.

The existence of what she termed “rabbit-holes” (reference stories by Carroll, Lewis), seemed to indicate the parallel plane was less secure than the Master had thought, and he (it?) would need this information as soon as possible.

The Master, for his part, was partial to elves and humans, and most of those he planned to take came from one of those two groups. However, she said the absence of orks and trolls was not due to any overt prejudice on the part of anyone in Breckenridge, but the absence of violent stimulus meant most were simply too bored to wish to live there.

(This comment may have been, in part, directed at Spencer, who expressed strong appreciation for the Mistress, who was quite pretty and, apparently, an accomplished martial artist.)

As with many of the communited, Breckenridge was self-sufficient in agricultural goods, and the climiate-control allowed them to produce consistent surpluses of top-quality foods. The town had a tradition of brewing excellence, as the restaurant’s selection of beer indicated. The townsmen regularly salvaged – or accepted in trade – raw materials for the construction of the haven on the Master’s other dimension.

As with most other communities, Breckenridge lacks chemistry-based luxuries of all sorts, and offers a ready market for top-quality comfort-commodities of all sorts. The market has available:

-Farming implements (top quality)
-Seeds
-Basic foods (both in raw form and in baked and preserved goods)
-Beer (excellent)

The Mistress said the Breckeridge community also has a large library and, after the luncheon, Hendricks, Carver and Hagen decided to investigate. The three-storey building included older works and more modern books, especially those devoted to agriculture and animal husbandry. We secured distillation schematics for spook-juice fuel, and made some photographic copies of more recent agricultural works (see attachments).

Other intelligence gained at Breckenridge:

-The librarians said the “strange” community in the Pacific Northwest was referred to as “The Library,” and seemed to value books of all sorts – to the extent of using force or theft to secure works they did not already possess. Some of the traveling “acquisition teams” had tried to steal books from Breckenridge, and were dissuaded only with difficulty. The librarians also said the acquisition teams, when encountered in ruined towns, reportedly did not hesitate to use violence to acquire written works, and seemed to feel some sort of entitlement to any printed information. Goods of dead library acquisition teams can be turned in for a reward, after the salvagers prove they weren’t the ones to kill the acquirers.

-The slowest and safest route to Oasis seems to be to take Highway 6 west out of Breckenridge, until the junction with the old I-15. Proceed north along I-15 until Oasis is reached. Oasis is located at the junction of I-15 and I-80, near the ruins of the former “Salt Lake City.”

-A faster route existed by taking the road to the site of the pre-cataclysm town of Glenwood Springs, and then proceeding across the desert. However, this route is usually quite hazardous, and leads through territory inhabited by large desert monsters, and is best attempted during their hibernation.

-Oasis charges an entry fee of 100 lbs of scrap metal, or salvaged goods or ghost rock of equal value. Inside the demarcation zone that defines the limits of Oasis territory, neutrality and peaceful behavior is required of all visitors, and is rigidly enforced.

-The Convoy is a reputable organization, and trades frequently with Breckenridge.

-An independent organization known as “Robohunters” exists, and may be the most dangerous group in the region. They tend to wear magically-enhanced powered armor, armed with heavy weapons. The Combine treats them with caution.

-The Combine also faces challenges from a group of Air Pirates, allied (for the sake of convenience) with Oasis and the Convoy. Little information about their areas of operation were available.

The team remained the night at Breckenridge and prepared to depart the morning of April 2.

tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »

Day 9-10, April 2-3, 2115.

As the team prepared to depart Breckenridge for the return to Vault 385, Duke declared his intention to remain. He provided copies of all photos and video documentation, but refused to accompany the team.

At this time, please mark Raoul Duke as lost to the mission, and to the Vault.

The reduced team proceeded back down Highway 9, to Hartsel, where we stayed for the night and secured out repaired vehicle.

By the early afternoon of April 3, we arrived at the entrance of Vault 385, after noting the presence of recent vehicle traffic. At the entrance, we found an unknown vehicle filled with armed orks, who seemed intent on scouting the site of the vault.

Holmes and the rest of the people in the pickup immediately entered the atrium of the Vault, in an attempt to clear it of trespassers, while Spencer and the team in the armored car immediately set off in pursuit of the scout vehicle, which had fled at our approach. Spencer managed to keep control of the armored vehicle, and the chase moved out to the highway to Pueblo.

There, the speed of the chase increased, until Spencer was able to close with the enemy vehicle. We then exchanged gunfire with the scout, which lost control, spun off the road, and rolled over, killing all occupants. Detonation of the vehicle leads us to the conclusion that this was a Combine reconnaissance team.

This concludes our report of the successful mission to Breckenridge. We report mission accomplished, much valuable intelligence gained, and the loss of only one team member, Raoul Duke.

Recommendations – this includes outcomes of previous recommendations made, and possible further actions to take, in light of knowledge gained.

Previous Recommendations:
1.   In the immediate future, initiate outside operations in the close vicinity of the vault, out to about a half-day’s travel, with the purpose of exploration and salvage.
a.   The second mission accomplished this mission, in part, but would recommend further exploration of the territory in the immediate vicinity of Vault 385.
2.   Begin investigation of the surrounding territory, with an eye toward using it to provide supplemental foodstuffs and other useful biological resources (especially wood, and nitrate nutrients for the vault hydroponics).
a.   As above.
3.   Plan operations so as to minimize environmental changes viewable by aerial observation. As such, supply all external forces with personalized equipment, so as to resemble the haphazard accoutrements worn by indigenous opponents, rather than the uniform equipment issued by the vault.
a.   The fact that not only the Combine, but also Oasis and this “Air Pirate” group all use aerial reconnaissance increases the importance of this recommendation.
b.   Base equipment worn by Vault personnel on the clothing and other items purchased and/or otherwise secured by the initial reconnaissance team.
4.   It is imperative that the vault send a well-equipped, well-supplied and WELL-TRAINED reconnaissance team to the north, to discover as much as possible about the origins of the advanced aircraft. The team should have the following skill-sets:
a.   Training in small-unit combat tactics applicable to rifle-squads.
b.   Training in outdoor survival, including camouflage, hunting and gathering, and the preparation of wild game and other foods.
c.   Training in equipment comparable to that used by advanced opponents, including assault rifles, explosives and rocket-propelled grenades.
d.   Training in military command hierarchies, and expected behaviors.
i.   Much of this was accomplished in the second mission, although the exact capacities of the Combine remain a mystery. However, useful intelligence may be gained from the Skaven.
Additional Recommendation:
I. Immediate future
1.   The Vault should begin to integrate itself into the regional economy, through the manufacture of unique goods – especially distilled liquors, soaps and other chemistry-based luxury items that are not widely available.
2.   The Vault should continue manufacture of more powerful weapons, including the assault rifles and rocket-propelled grenades, and continue development of anti-aircraft capabilities as a HIGH PRIORITY.
3.   The Vault should use the armored vehicles secured during the second mission as templates for future manufactures.
4.   The Vault should create a “spook-juice” distillation facility at earliest opportunity, so as to facilitate all other goals.
II. Intermediate Goals
1.   The Vault should establish defensible boundaries and begin regular patrols of well-armed sentry treams.
2.   The Vault should declare its territory an “Emancipation Zone,” in which slavery is strictly prohibited, all slaves who reach it permanently freed, and all slave-hunters and slave-takers prosecuted to the fullest extent of V385 law. This serves two purposes:
a.   Firstly, it allows the vault to secure motivated laborers accustomed to outside conditions, who have every reason to feel grateful at the opportunity to work.
b.   Secondly, it deliberately provokes a response from the Skaven, which can then be met forcefully – thus helping to establish the sort of power-hierarchy which all external observers agree offers the greatest possibility the Skaven will cause fewest problems.
c.   The greatest risk is that the Skaven will align themselves with the Combine against Vault interests, which makes continued creation of heavy weapons and anti-aircraft assets that much more important.
3.   The Vault should send a trade team North along I-9, to secure copies of useful books at the Breckenridge library, and establish permanent trading posts there, and at Hartsel.
4.   The Vault should annex Cañon City, as the primary point of contact between it and the rest of the communities in the area. This can be with minimal (if any) violence, and secures the closest community to the Vault, which could be other wise used as a staging area for operations against us. The presence of an established “ork-quarter” in that community also creates opportunities for improvement of Vault 385 society, in that it offers a proven beneficial outlet for emotional stresses experienced by orks and trolls.
5.   The Vault should send a team to the Ranger Station to secure the third armored vehicle, and to continue repair of relations with the elf community, in that vicinity.
6.   The Vault should send a mission along the safest route to Oasis, for the purposes of diplomacy, reconnaissance and trade. This should happen before the end of Hibernation Season. Once there, the team should learn about as many factions as possible, and establish communication with those most likely to prove friendly.

tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2013, 01:29:28 PM »

Whoo! Done!

I've wanted to get that report finished, for awhile now. Moving interferes with everything, though, and I went camping last weekend, too.

Again, let me know if you guys see any glaring errors, and I'll correct 'em.

tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »

Reconnaissance Team Alpha After-Action Report of David M. F. Spencer III
Community Service: Day 2
CC: Vault 385 Parole Board
3 / 26 / 2115

(SNIP)

-Dave

Awesome.

One of the main reasons I write up Luke's reports is because it helps encourage G-n-A to write up Spencer's.  Grin

Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2013, 04:00:03 AM »

Awesome.

Thanks! :]

One of the main reasons I write up Luke's reports is because it helps encourage G-n-A to write up Spencer's.  Grin

Yeah, you keep better notes, what can I say...

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 09:00:25 PM »

Awesome.

Thanks! :]

Yeah, you keep better notes, what can I say...

Honestly, I always try to make special mention of Spencer's more questionable decisions, just so I can read his version of events.  Wink

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2014, 04:45:24 PM »

So, when would we be interested in starting this up again?  4/20 is Teen Supers, so that's not an option.  How does 5/11 sound?  That gives Kim some wiggle room for Teen Supers and Matt some for Little Green Men.

The party is down two, experienced, characters, and will probably have two, new, inexperienced people join them.

(Christopher and Will are gone and now we'll probably have Martin and Wesley--though that's not confirmed yet).
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 03:27:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure some of my LGM players might have family obligations on 5/11, so I'm down for that.

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 03:32:15 PM »

Oh, yeah . . . good point.

I don't think that'll bother too many of us.  We'll have to see.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 07:48:32 PM »

Is 5/11 or 5/18 better for everyone?
tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2014, 08:40:04 AM »

5/18 is easier for me, although 5/11 might be doable if that's better for everybody else. Mother's Day is sort of a big deal for my mom, and I usually buy her flowers and (if she's up to it) take her out to lunch. We then usually see a movie, or something.

She's also been really ill, lately, so I've been spending a fair amount of time with her.

I might be able to join later in the day, if it's 5/11, but 5/18 is definitely better, for me.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length