+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  IST 2k Seoul
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: IST 2k Seoul  (Read 6516 times)
Bill

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »

It's the year 2000.  After a catastrophic explosion during a peace conference in Pyongyang, North Korea, China insists an act of war perpetrated by the United Nations.  Seizing control of the North Korean military, China advances across the DMZ.  As the IST team based in Seoul you must assist South Korea in repelling and turning back the Chinese invasion while providing protection for civilians and non-combatants.

This will be an action-oriented supers game.  There will be some investigation and non-combat aspects, but, the majority will be combat against the aggressors.

Characters are members of the International Super Teams (GURPS IST) Seoul Embassy.

Characters are 750 points with -75 points in disadvantages and -5 points in quirks.

The campaign uses Multiplicative Modifiers (GURPS Powers, pg 102).

Campaign limits for starting characters:
Maximum dice of swing damage or innate attack damage:  30d
Maximum levels of non-ablative DR:  100
Minimum level of Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction:  /3
Maximum level of Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction:  /10
Maximum level of Super-ST:  9/70 (total Striking ST cannot exceed 80)
(Note: I'm using the "Increased Damage with Superhuman Strength" rules from Pyramid 3-34 (pg 24), and I am keeping with the damage cap mitigation (+7 for Brawling, +14 for Karate) and those do count toward your maximum damage.  A Striking ST of 80 would give a Swing of 35d using those rules.  Thank you, David Pulver.  Also, I'm using the "Keeping Large Vehicles Alive" and “HP and Weight: An Alternate Apporach) rules from that Pyramid article (pg 24-25) as well, just FYI.)

Everyone, also, has to buy the following package:

IST Package [68+ points]
Language (Korean, Accented/Accented) [4]
   (or English (Accented/Accented) [4] if they already speak Korean)
Legal Enforcement Powers 2 [10]
Military Rank 4+ [20+]
Patron (UN; 9-; Equipment worth more than starting wealth, Minimum Intervention, wields great social/political power)  [38]
Reputation +3 (IST Team Member, All the Time, Everyone, excepting a large class) [10]
Duty (IST, UN; Almost all the time, Extremely Hazardous) [-20]
Reputation -3 (Criminals, et al; all the time, small class of people) [-5]
Reputation -1 (Non-UN Member nations, all the time, Large class of people) [-2]
Area Knowledge (Seoul) [1]
Area Knowledge (South Korea) [1]
Computer Operation/TL9 [1]
Diplomacy [2]
History (International, UN) [2]
Karate or Judo (character’s choice) [4]
Mind Block [2]
Strategy (Super) [2]
Tactics [2]
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 12:17:55 PM »

Click me for highly-recommended/required reading
For the IST 2K Seoul, these are the events that I’ll be using before the March 19th start date to the game:
A massive explosion (1.5-2 kilotons) in the upper atmosphere in the Yukon, puts all of America and Canada on alert.  Identifying meteoroids falling on Tagish Lake, in British Colombia Canada does little to allay the fears of the two nations.

Alaska Airlines flight 261 declares an emergency over the Pacific near Point Mugu, California.  Quick response from IST Los Angeles and local rescue teams manage to assist the plane into making an emergency landing in the ocean and rescue all 88 persons onboard.

Confederation representatives are interested in human technology, but, due to the vast distances involved are only willing to make agreements for information and media exchange as their trade ships would take over 4 years to reach Earth if it was within range.  The trip is untenable for even the fastest Meeranon vessel.

The American-designed, New York City Fusion Reactor becomes unstable and has to be taken off line.  A small amount of unidentified radioactive material escapes.  Allegations run wild as to the safety and source of American Fusion power.

The Doomsday Cult “Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God” summons the Blue Demon to bring about the end of the world.  The Blue Demon appears, devourers all of the cultists, then moves on to ransack nearby villages.  IST Kampala and local forces are in pursuit of the creature to stop its reign of terror.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 01:56:16 PM »

I'm totally up for this, in case it wasn't obvious from the way I more-or-less specifically asked for it. ;]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the above list is from the contemporary headline items from early 2000 that you ripped and IST-ified in the brainstorm thread, right?

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:51:04 PM »

Pretty much, yeah. 

Those were some of my entries.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 05:43:09 AM »

Suggested Material:

Quote from: Other Forum Bill
French President Jacques Chirac is assassinated by suicide bomber Maxime Brunerie.  Investigators can find no bomb residue.  Analysis of Brunerie’s few remains lead authorities to determine he was a metahuman.

...seconds before the detonation, eyewitnesses describe Chirac putting Brunerie into a headlock...

Quote from: Other Forum Bill
A group of suicide bombers detonate in Bali’s nightclub district.  More than eight-hundred people are killed and thousands more injured.  The Blue Demon appears and hampers rescue workers.  It is brought down by IST Bali.

...using highly unconventional powers. I picture IST Bali being flamboyantly fucking weird for some reason...

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:35:04 AM »

...seconds before the detonation, eyewitnesses describe Chirac putting Brunerie into a headlock...
Being as the power that caused Brunerie to explode wasn't his, I could see that.  But, it happened as the motorcade was driving by, and eyewitnesses would have been killed when Brunerie exploded with the force of 150-200 lbs of dynamite.  But, I'm sure, if Chirac was allowed to give an accounting of himself, he would have been awesome.

...using highly unconventional powers. I picture IST Bali being flamboyantly fucking weird for some reason...
This is something that most people don't use, or aren't familiar with about IST:  At most out of the 20 supers that could be stationed at the Bali Embassy, a maximum of two could be from India.  The ISTs make it a point to move nationalities around.  However, much like my IST Alice Springs is where they send mental cases who need to recover, there's no reason that IST Bali couldn't be home to some really freaky supers.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 05:36:00 AM »

This is something that most people don't use, or aren't familiar with about IST:  At most out of the 20 supers that could be stationed at the Bali Embassy, a maximum of two could be from India.  The ISTs make it a point to move nationalities around. 

Yeah, that's been in place from the first write-up. While it is true that they wouldn't station more than two Indian supers there, Bali's in Indonesia. ;]

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 11:33:07 AM »

DURH!  I've been going all over the world with the writing, so my geography is getting a little muddy.
Jon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 04:42:24 PM »

I think that I am interested in joining to play this.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »

Welcome to the party.  One word of warning: our group is located in, as Matt eloquently puts it, East Bumfuck Aurora.

The address here is 3843 S Quemoy Way, Aurora, CO 80018

Also, I will be posting characters for Bob Schroeck to use for IST25 (if he wants them), so I'll need permission to use them.
Jon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »

I am actually pretty close to that part of town. I live in Greenwood Village. So I am only 15-20 minutes away.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »

Okay, cool.  Just wanted full disclosure on the location.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 01:14:01 PM »

I think we're good on players.  That'll give us 6.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 05:31:41 PM »

I think we're good on players.  That'll give us 6.

Who's playing that's too good for the fora? ;]

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 02:36:13 AM »

Take 3 guesses (Kim doesn't count, since he's here with me and doesn't need to use them).

And just finished making characters for two of them.  Will post at Bob's site later.

Jon, if you've got an idea for a character, can we get a look at it?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:54:25 PM by Bill » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length