+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  IST 2k Seoul
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: IST 2k Seoul  (Read 6515 times)
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 07:04:07 PM »

We had a character generation "session" for two of my players, today (hence the two new characters posted--neat how that works).  However, at the end, there was this discussion:

Me:  Cool.  So far, everyone is an elementalist.  We’ve got light, darkness and earth.  That's a cool theme.
J:  What’s MonkeyFist running?
MonkeyFist:  Well, I’ve got Lifter and Reflecto, but I’m thinking about a Fire blaster.
K:  Cool.  A fire bender.
Me:  (Facepalm)
MonkeyFist:  Maybe I should remake Tsunami as well, so we can have a water bender, too.
J:  So, a light-bender, dark-bender, earth-bender, fire-bender and water-bender.
Me:  That’s it.  I’m just making Bender for Wellser.
K:  What kind of bender?
Me:  The drinking, smoking, “bite my shiny metal ass” kind of Bender.
Jon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 07:32:05 PM »

Hehehe. And I've been working on a lightning and force fields kind of guy. So he'd fit in, sort of, as Air.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 07:40:23 PM »

I really can't be expected to guess people who I was told aren't playing anymore for a while outside of ICBINE. :p

The characters look fun. I didn't add up the totals, but there appear to be point notes in with the advantages and disadvantages from when it was in-progress so you might want to double-check that.

Does The Force know how much of a glass cannon he made, or is he counting on 10 points of Absorb-Everything DR (I am seriously beginning to consider banning that Advantage without access limits on it from my games) and IT:DR /5 to protect him from rapid-fire gunshots? Needs more Invisibility if it wants to be The Darkness. ;]

Any particular reason you're not using Alternative Attacks for Pebbles? She could squeeze a lot more out of the three big IAs that way, and they can still all be knocked out in a single action with the same Elemental power mod on them...

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 10:37:59 PM »

Quote from: Jon
Hehehe. And I've been working on a lightning and force fields kind of guy. So he'd fit in, sort of, as Air.
Cool.

The characters look fun. I didn't add up the totals, but there appear to be point notes in with the advantages and disadvantages from when it was in-progress so you might want to double-check that.
I made them for them . . . while they were sitting in the living room giving me feedback (and watching The Avengers, again.  I didn’t look at the exports too closely, but they were golden when I was building them—I do plan on taking another look tomorrow.

Does The Force know how much of a glass cannon he made, or is he counting on 10 points of Absorb-Everything DR (I am seriously beginning to consider banning that Advantage without access limits on it from my games) and IT:DR /5 to protect him from rapid-fire gunshots? Needs more Invisibility if it wants to be The Darkness. ;]
He's got 10 with absorption linked to Healing and 20 more just basic.  He’s just fine against SAWs and the like.  Heavy weapons . . . yeah, he’s boned.  But, then again, so is most of the party.  Right now, Pebbles is the only one with “a lot” of DR.

And, yeah.  I commented on that.  Told him all about the invisibility fiascos.  Hmm . . . maybe I should put some uplifted gorillas in there so they can comment about how he was easier to find this time . . ..

Any particular reason you're not using Alternative Attacks for Pebbles? She could squeeze a lot more out of the three big IAs that way, and they can still all be knocked out in a single action with the same Elemental power mod on them...
She didn't want them.  And really, only the fist-punch and the spike patch would work as AA.  She wanted the emanation as a protective field she could keep on, and wanted to be able to use control as a power-block.  But, I did plan on looking at them a bit more intensively after a night to sleep on it.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 03:09:38 AM »

He's got 10 with absorption linked to Healing and 20 more just basic.  He’s just fine against SAWs and the like.  Heavy weapons . . . yeah, he’s boned.  But, then again, so is most of the party.  Right now, Pebbles is the only one with “a lot” of DR.

I totally managed to miss the non-Absorptive 20, duh.

She didn't want them.  And really, only the fist-punch and the spike patch would work as AA.  She wanted the emanation as a protective field she could keep on, and wanted to be able to use control as a power-block.  But, I did plan on looking at them a bit more intensively after a night to sleep on it.

Wouldn't the Emanation need Persistent for that? Otherwise the best she could do is use an action to reactivate it every round...

Me:  Cool.  So far, everyone is an elementalist.  We’ve got light, darkness and earth.  That's a cool theme.

No offense, but is it a cool theme? I picture the IST assembling a team based on who's tactically complementary, and IMHO an all-elemental team gimmick is going to look more like a Planeteers parody. Not that I'd care, except that it might affect our chances of getting our material into the official book if it comes off goofy or lacking in verisimilitude. I'd be willing to change my theme over it, if the group wants to avoid that.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »

Quote from: Gold & Appel Inc
Wouldn't the Emanation need Persistent for that? Otherwise the best she could do is use an action to reactivate it every round...
Yeah, I need to make this an aura instead.

No offense, but is it a cool theme? I picture the IST assembling a team based on who's tactically complementary, and IMHO an all-elemental team gimmick is going to look more like a Planeteers parody. Not that I'd care, except that it might affect our chances of getting our material into the official book if it comes off goofy or lacking in verisimilitude. I'd be willing to change my theme over it, if the group wants to avoid that.
If we're "silly" yes, that's a problem.  But, there's not a built-in incompatibility around elementalists.  Actually, there's a lot of complementing going on:

We have a Light and a Dark.
We have an Earth and a Electricity.
We'll have a Fire and whatever I want to make Adam.

There's a decent amount of filling in the blanks there.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 01:58:16 PM »

If we're "silly" yes, that's a problem.  But, there's not a built-in incompatibility around elementalists.  Actually, there's a lot of complementing going on:

We have a Light and a Dark.
We have an Earth and a Electricity.
We'll have a Fire and whatever I want to make Adam.

There's a decent amount of filling in the blanks there.

Okay, okay, but can we just make a Speedster or something for Adam? He'll get lots of actions and love it, you know. I'll do it for you if you want...

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 11:53:04 PM »

If you feel up to it, sure.  Make a couple of speedsters, and we'll see which one Adam wants.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 02:27:30 PM »

Name: Ivan "Molniya" Ivanovitch [750MM]

Culture: TL 9 [0]; Familiarity: Eastern [1], Western [0]; Languages: Korean (Accented / Accented) [4]; Russian (Native / Native) [0];

Attributes: ST 15 [50]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 16 [60];

Secondary: BL 45#; Dam 2d-1 / 3d+1; Spd 12.0 (Super -10%) [90]; Mov 20 (Super -10%) [36]; HP 20 [10]; FP 20 [12]; Perception: 10 [0]; Willpower: 13 [15];

Advantages: Immunity (Acceleration) [5]; Legal Enforcement Powers [10]; Luck (Regular) (Defensive -20%) [12]; Military Rank x4 [20]; Patron (UN) (Appears 9-, Provides Equipment +100%, Wields Great Political Power +100%, Minimal Intervention -50%) [38]; Reputation +3 ("IST," All But Lg Group, Always) [10];

Perks: Alcohol Tolerance [1]; Brave [1];

Powers: Doesn't Sleep (Super -10%) [18]; DR x6 (Super -10%, Tough Skin -40%) [15]; Extra Attack x1 (Super -10%) [23]; Enhanced Time Sense (Super -10%) [41]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction: 1/3) (Super -10%) [68]; Nictitating Membrane x1 (Super -10%) [1]; Regeneration (Very Fast) (Fatigue Too +100%, Temp Disadvantage: Increased Consumption -10%, Super -10%) [160]; Striking ST +4 (Super -10%) [18];

Disadvantages: Duty (IST, 15-, Extremely Hazardous) [-20]; Impulsiveness (9-) [-15]; OPH -1 (Can't Hold Still) [-5]; Overconfidence (6-) [-10]; Pacifism (Can't Harm Innocents) [-10]; Reputation -3 ("IST," Criminals, Supervillains, Etc, Always) [-5]; Reputation -1 ("IST," Non-UN Nations, Always) [-2]; Sense of Duty (Friends and Family) [-5]; Short Attention Span (12-) [-10]; Vow (Protect the Innocent) [-10];

Quirks: Mild Bad Temper [-1]; Mild Honesty [-1]; Mildly Lecherous [-1]; Nosy [-1]; Proud [-1];

Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX [4]-12; Area Knowledge (E) (Russia) IQ [1]-10, (Seoul) IQ [1]-10, (South Korea) IQ [1]-10; Carousing (E) HT [1]-16; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-11; Computer Operation/TL9 (E) IQ [1]-10; Connoisseur (A) (Vodka) IQ-1 [1]-9; Demolitions/TL9 (A) (EOD) IQ+1 [4]-11; Detect Lies (H) Per-2 [1]-8; Diplomacy (H) IQ-1 [2]-9; First Aid/TL9 (E) IQ+2 [4]-12; Guns/TL9 (E) (Rifle) DX+2 [4]-14; Haz-Mat/TL9 (A) (Chemical) IQ-1 [1]-9, (Radioactive) IQ-1 [1]-9; History (UN / International) IQ-1 [2]-9; Intimidation (A) Will [2]-13; Karate (H) DX+4 [20]-16; Knife (E) DX [1]-12; Mind Block (A) Will+1 [4]-14; Parachuting/TL9 (E) DX [1]-12; Piloting/TL9 (A) (Helicopter) DX [2]-12; Savoir-Faire (E) (Military) IQ [1]-10; Soldier/TL9 (A) IQ [2]-10; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-13; Strategy (H) (Super) IQ-1 [2]-9; Sumo Wrestling (A) DX+4 [16]-16; Swimming (E) HT [1]-16; Tactics (H) IQ-1 [2]-9;

Notes: Super-soldier serum speedster; tough and maneuverable. Slams well. SPEAKS NO ENGLISH AT ALL. Gets back 2 HP and 2 FP per round. Can sprint full-bore at just under 50mph effectively forever, stopping only to eat and use the bathroom.

~~~~~

Name: Sven "Professor Zuum!" Svenson [750MM]

Culture: TL 9 [0]; Familiarity: Eastern [1], Western [0]; Languages: Korean (Accented / Accented) [4]; Swedish (Native / Native) [0];

Attributes: ST 11 [10]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 16 [60];

Secondary: BL 24#; Dam 1d-1 / 1d+1; Spd 7.0 [0]; Mov 8 [5]; HP 12 [2]; FP 16 [0]; Perception: 12 [0]; Willpower: 13 [5];

Advantages: Legal Enforcement Powers [10]; Luck (Defensive -20%) [12]; Military Rank x4 [20]; Patron (UN) (Appears 9-, Provides Equipment +100%, Wields Great Political Power +100%, Minimal Intervention -50%) [38]; Reputation +3 ("IST," All But Lg Group, Always) [10];

Perks: Brave [1]; Honest Face [1];

Powers: Zuumatic! Time Distortion Belt: Altered Time Rate x9 (Super-Speed +20%, Breakable: DR 25, SM -4 -20%, Can Be Stolen w/ Force -10%, Can't Be Fixed -15%, Superscience -10%, Unique -25%) [216]; Altered Time Rate x3 (Non-Combat Speed -60%, Breakable: DR 25, SM -4 -20%, Can Be Stolen w/ Force -10%, Can't Be Fixed -15%, Superscience -10%, Unique -25%) [60]; DR x100 (Force Field +20%, Hardened x2 +40%, Breakable: DR 25, SM -4 -20%, Can Be Stolen w/ Force -10%, Can't Be Fixed -15%, Superscience -10%, Unique -25%) [160]; Enhanced Dodge +5 (Breakable: DR 25, SM -4 -20%, Can Be Stolen w/ Force -10%, Can't Be Fixed -15%, Superscience -10%, Unique -25%) [15]; Enhanced Time Sense (Breakable: DR 25, SM -4 -20%, Can Be Stolen w/ Force -10%, Can't Be Fixed -15%, Superscience -10%, Unique -25%) [9]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction: 1/10) (Breakable: DR 25, SM -4 -20%, Can Be Stolen w/ Force -10%, Can't Be Fixed -15%, Superscience -10%, Unique -25%) [30];

Disadvantages: Duty (IST, 15-, Extremely Hazardous) [-20]; Impulsiveness (12-) [-10]; Jealousy [-10]; Obsession (12-) (Physical Fitness) [-5]; OPH -1 (Bombastic Pedant) [-5]; Overconfidence (12-) [-5]; Pacifism (Can't Harm Innocents) [-10]; Reputation -3 ("IST," Criminals, Supervillains, Etc, Always) [-5]; Reputation -1 ("IST," Non-UN Nations, Always) [-2]; Sense of Duty (Friends and Family) [-5]; Short Attention Span (15-) [-5]; Vow (Protect the Innocent) [-10];

Quirks: Imaginative [-1]; Mild Compulsive Spending [-1]; Nosy [-1]; Proud [-1]; Vegetarian [-1];

Skills: Area Knowledge (E) (Sweden) IQ [1]-12, (Seoul) IQ [1]-12, (South Korea) IQ [1]-12; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-11; Computer Operation/TL9 (E) IQ [1]-12; Current Affairs/TL9 (E) (High Tech) IQ+2 [4]-14; Demolitions/TL9 (A) (EOD) IQ [2]-12; Detect Lies (H) Per-2 [1]-10; Diplomacy (H) IQ-1 [2]-11; Electronics Operations/TL9 (A) (Scientific) IQ+1 [4]-13; First Aid/TL9 (E) IQ+2 [4]-14; Guns/TL9 (E) (Rifle) DX+2 [4]-14; Haz-Mat/TL9 (A) (Chemical) IQ-1 [1]-11, (Radioactive) IQ-1 [1]-11; History (UN / International) IQ-1 [2]-11; Housekeeping/TL9 (E) IQ [1]-12; Judo (H) DX [4]-12; Mind Block (A) Will+1 [4]-14; Running (A) HT-1 [1]-15; Savoir-Faire (E) (Servant) IQ [1]-12; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-13; Strategy (H) (Super) IQ-1 [2]-11; Swimming (E) HT [1]-16; Tactics (H) IQ-1 [2]-11;

Wildcard Skills: Fake! (WC) IQ+2 [48]-14;

Notes: Lab lackey who appropriated a gizmo after a freak explosion killed the mad scientist. The IST knows, but they're cool with it as long as he behaves because the inventor was an unknown fledgeling supervillain and he came clean from the beginning. SPEAKS NO ENGLISH AT ALL. Very, very hard to kill while he's got the belt, but has very little in the way of offense. Good at creative problem-solving and doing long strategic tasks (at 0.5% of the normal time due to combined ATRs for non-combat speed) while other people hold down a fight.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:16:08 PM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Jon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 04:58:52 PM »

I really need to finalize my guy so I can get feedback.

I have a couple of questions.

Are 12D6 attacks are good enough. I'd like to give them high armor piercing against anything conductive (do you have a suggested cost percentage on that?) and a HT resistible stun effect.

Did I miss it somewhere? Is there a way to make attacks charge per turn: 12d, 24d, 36d, ZOT!

I was making him a magic based Super. Is that okay in your background?
Can he have an origin from a dimensional rift effect, or must all characters have an Earth background?

Can he be an elf? Of course he doesn't call himself that since where he is from that is what everyone is. But when IST finds him he is promptly labeled an elf. Magical, unaging, tall. Elf.

For his background I was thinking of having him working with IST because the UN is the closest thing to a world government. He can use his powers for good. He's also ambitious and wants to advance himself as far as possible. World leader would be nice eventually and for that a heroic image is always a good thing. In the world he came from he'd been close to the top and his arrival through a rift was either an accident or possibly a plot to get rid of him. He's not sure. He does not like to hurt people and he's got ethics. He's a good guy. But he does like power and he's convinced he can use it better than anyone else.

If none of that works, it's really easy to change his background and the attack effects just change power source.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 06:34:09 PM »

Did I miss it somewhere? Is there a way to make attacks charge per turn: 12d, 24d, 36d, ZOT!

If it's different levels of the same Innate Attack, you can just put additional Takes Extra Time or Costs Fatigue or whatever on some of them and it all combines together when the conditions are right without the Link Enhancement.

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 10:37:37 PM »

12d is kinda low, but, with some Armor Divisors you would be okay.  I'll have to look at the modifier to Armor Divisor for material types.

Matt explained charging.

Magic is fine, but all characters must have an Earth background.  I'll think about the background, as being an Elf or from an alternate dimension might be tipping our hands too much at this point.
Jon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2013, 02:46:55 PM »

With 12d being a bit low, that is why I was looking for charging options. I wouldn't plan to use them often but it would be there when needed to get through something with a lot of non-conductive DR.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2013, 03:57:13 PM »

With 12d being a bit low, that is why I was looking for charging options. I wouldn't plan to use them often but it would be there when needed to get through something with a lot of non-conductive DR.

Don't forget: Even though this is a violent war game, it's not all about Damage vs DR. (Or if it is I'm totally screwed, anyway; my guy's best attack does 4d Crushing... the second sample I built above is IMHO really freakin' useful, and has no Innate Attacks at all...) We might need Lightning Guy to take out snipers or fry the electronics in a tank (don't forget Surge +20%!) or whatever while we get Huge Melee Guy into position to lay waste to something, for example. Everybody on a team gets challenges suited to their abilities in the comics. ;]

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2013, 12:17:08 AM »

(don't forget Surge +20%!)
Words to live by!

While Surge wouldn't be terribly useful against modern, western MBT, what the Chinese and North Koreans will have won't be.

And yes, that does mean that you can expect a battle against a tank.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length