+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  IST 2k Seoul
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: IST 2k Seoul  (Read 6514 times)
Jon

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2013, 09:13:50 AM »

A tank? Okay. :-)

But snipers I didn't plan for. I don't think he'd be very good at long ranges.

Maybe I can find the points to add some kind of long range tracking attack and call it Magic Missiles. :-)
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2013, 10:43:56 AM »

Yeah, right now, the group's best bet against a sniper is to hide.

While I do like Professor Zoom . . . er Zuum, there's simply no way Adam could play that character.  I mean, sure we could change the vegetarian, but I don't think Adam could handle the "Bombastic Pedant" which is awesome, but really, outside of Adam's range.  That would be spot-on for Jerry.  And, without a functional attack . . . he'd be at a loss.  He'd be more focused on being the worlds greatest infantryman as opposed to anything else.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 12:46:44 PM »

And, if Kim decided to run Reflecto . . . that would ruin a sniper's day.

DR 100 + Reflective + Hardened 6 = one dead sniper.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 02:54:09 PM »

A tank? Okay. :-)

But snipers I didn't plan for. I don't think he'd be very good at long ranges.

Maybe I can find the points to add some kind of long range tracking attack and call it Magic Missiles. :-)

Increased Range and high Accuracy are traditional on lightning attacks, not to mention cheap, and you're the closest to owning this niche as things stand right now, so personally I'd seize it if I were you. ;]

Yeah, right now, the group's best bet against a sniper is to hide.

While I do like Professor Zoom . . . er Zuum, there's simply no way Adam could play that character.  I mean, sure we could change the vegetarian, but I don't think Adam could handle the "Bombastic Pedant" which is awesome, but really, outside of Adam's range.  That would be spot-on for Jerry.

a) Who cares about Adam's range if he wants to try it? We're not casting Les Mis here.

b) Zuum is totally bullshitting when he goes off like that; he's not a genius, he has a good Fake! skill. ;]

c) It's pretty easy to change a [-5]-point OPH to another [-5]-point OPH; I was mainly focused on the power build and threw a "sample personality" on top for polish.

And, without a functional attack . . . he'd be at a loss.  He'd be more focused on being the worlds greatest infantryman as opposed to anything else.

Well, like I was saying in my notes, the idea behind Zuum is that he's the guy who can take five subjective minutes in the middle of a super-fight to defuse a bomb or go retrieve the vital McGuffin or something (though with 10 seconds to everybody else's 1 to position himself and Aim when he's in combat time, he is the world's greatest designated rifleman when stuck with nothing better to do), unless this is your way of telling us as GM that those sorts of challenges will not be provided.

And, if Kim decided to run Reflecto . . . that would ruin a sniper's day.

DR 100 + Reflective + Hardened 6 = one dead sniper.

Yeah, exactly one. ;]

Humor aside, doesn't that beg the question: Aren't these guys kind of famous? I mean, they do PR and press conferences, get covered by the news when they get in a fight, etc, right? If I was some kind of elite sniper planning to get deployed against a force including superheroes, I would most definitely try to read up on what they can do...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:07:09 PM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2013, 06:26:15 PM »

I agree, in a general sense—but, I doubt that’s what Adam would want to do.  He’s less the thinky/planny guy and more the “I’m going to hurt them now” guy.  If he wants to try it, I’m all for letting him.  I just don’t think that’s the character he’s going to choose.  That wasn’t a “I’m not going to let him run that character,” it was a “I think that’s outside of what Adam would want to play.”

And, either way, those two will still be at IST Seoul, to round out the embassy.

The first session will probably be a stand-up fight against a merc supers team.  I’m pretty sure that you and their dodgy guy are going to get into a dodging match.  Beyond that, once everybody’s got a feel for what they can (and, more importantly, cannot) do, more challenging tasks await (including the aforementioned battle against an MBT).

I mean, it’s still possible that, even with Surge, the tank makes all of its HT rolls and you guys have to retreat . . . but that could happen in any game.

The only IST supers, per canon, that are actually famous are the IST New York team, because Argurous made it a point to make them celebrities (it’s part of their job description).  Most of the other ISTs are less ambitious about it.  Seoul, specifically, is keeping a lid on what you guys can do since they’re expecting a war.  Eidolon (the Field Commander) does all the press conferences due to the build-up.

And really, would you put your team’s actual abilities out where the can be researched?

If someone wants to be famous, they can take a reputation.  But, really, the individual IST members aren’t that famous, unless they choose to be.  And, as the saying goes . . . vapors don’t shoot back.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2013, 09:18:02 PM »

I agree, in a general sense—but, I doubt that’s what Adam would want to do.  He’s less the thinky/planny guy and more the “I’m going to hurt them now” guy.  If he wants to try it, I’m all for letting him.  I just don’t think that’s the character he’s going to choose.  That wasn’t a “I’m not going to let him run that character,” it was a “I think that’s outside of what Adam would want to play.”

Yeah, probably; just wanted to present contrasting options. I can whip up a more traditional combat speedster if he doesn't like the Russian Perpetual Motion Machine.

The only IST supers, per canon, that are actually famous are the IST New York team, because Argurous made it a point to make them celebrities (it’s part of their job description).  Most of the other ISTs are less ambitious about it.  

Hmn, interesting. I would've expected that more out of IST LA. :]

Seoul, specifically, is keeping a lid on what you guys can do since they’re expecting a war.  Eidolon (the Field Commander) does all the press conferences due to the build-up.

And really, would you put your team’s actual abilities out where the can be researched?

I dunno, I can see the benefit of secrecy, but also of leaking certain things... If the other side knows you have a guy like Reflecto, for example, they're going to hesitate to use their expensive, limited supply of snipers if there's even a possibility of him being on the scene (eg: in a crowd of masked spec ops)...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 09:25:05 PM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »

I'm pretty sure, if you whipped one up, and we presented all three to Adam, the one with the highest DPS would be the one he chose.

Quote from: IST, pg 23
The most unusual of their duties, more or less unique among the rest of the ISTs around the world, is to be famous. In the spirit of good public relations, members of IST New York are encouraged to use their off time to visit the theater, the Metropolitan Opera, exclusive night clubs, everywhere other celebrities go — and to do it in costume.

MY IST LA also had that as part of their job description.  I might see about putting that in the book, if Bob's okay with it.

As for Reflecto: a weapon that never gets used is a useless weapon.  If they're afraid to deploy their snipers because one of them may accidentally shoot Reflecto and snuff it, then Reflecto has done a better defensive job than his powers ever could.  They would be more likley to monitor him and deploy to other locations.  But, if we keep Reflecto secret, and make him a prime target, then snipers will be killing themselves off trying to take him out. 

Again . . . vapors don't shoot back.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2013, 02:30:52 AM »

I'm pretty sure, if you whipped one up, and we presented all three to Adam, the one with the highest DPS would be the one he chose.

I guess we'll see. Ivan doesn't do a lot of DPS, but is a pretty sweet combat monster IMHO, especially if we're using the Extra Effort rules...

As for Reflecto: a weapon that never gets used is a useless weapon.  If they're afraid to deploy their snipers because one of them may accidentally shoot Reflecto and snuff it, then Reflecto has done a better defensive job than his powers ever could.  They would be more likley to monitor him and deploy to other locations.  But, if we keep Reflecto secret, and make him a prime target, then snipers will be killing themselves off trying to take him out. 

Sure, but if Reflecto is known and his exact wherabouts aren't, he becomes a strategic asset: No sniper who isn't an Extreme Fanatic will fire on anybody with his rough build in a mask. :]

HandofBobb

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2013, 04:01:30 PM »

Sure, but if Reflecto is known and his exact wherabouts aren't, he becomes a strategic asset: No sniper who isn't an Extreme Fanatic will fire on anybody with his rough build in a mask. :]

Sounds pretty win-win to me.  Only downside is, im not sure how fun he'd be to play...
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »

Sounds pretty win-win to me.  Only downside is, im not sure how fun he'd be to play...

Yeah, that part's pretty important, too. ;]

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2013, 06:18:51 PM »

Also, all the sniper has to do is watch a fight and see which of the supers bounces attacks back.  Then they don't shoot them.  And, even if they do, they're now aware of the bounce back, and can try to dodge it.

Reflecto needs to use Johnny's "Look out, sir!" dodge.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2013, 03:29:07 AM »

Name: Olivar "Rueda de Fuego" Ortega [750MM]

Culture: TL 9 [0]; Familiarity: Eastern [1], Western [0]; Languages: Korean (Accented / Accented) [4]; Spanish (Native / Native) [0];

Attributes: ST 11 [10]; DX 13 [60]; IQ 10 [0]; HT 15 [50];

Secondary: BL 24#; Dam 2d-1 / 3d+1; Spd 14.0 (Super -10%) [126]; Mov 20 (Super -10%) [27]; HP 12 [2]; FP 15 [0]; Perception: 10 [0]; Willpower: 13 [15];

Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Immunity (Acceleration) [5]; Legal Enforcement Powers [10]; Luck (Regular) (Defensive -20%) [12]; Military Rank x4 [20]; Patron (UN) (Appears 9-, Provides Equipment +100%, Wields Great Political Power +100%, Minimal Intervention -50%) [38]; Reputation +3 ("IST," All But Lg Group, Always) [10];

Perks: Brave [1]; Clinch (Brawling) [1]; OHWT (Pistol) [1];

Powers: Altered Time Rate x1 (Super -10%) [90]; DR x6 (Force Field +20%, Access: Only While Running -20%, Super -10%) [26]; Enhanced Move x4 (Running) (Super -10%) [72]; Enhanced Time Sense (Super -10%) [41]; Extra Attack x1 (Super -10%) [23]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction: 1/3) (Super -10%) [68]; Regeneration (Regular) (Temp Disadvantage: Increased Consumption -10%, Super -10%) [20]; Striking ST +8 (Super -10%) [36];

Disadvantages: Bad Temper (15-) [-15]; Duty (IST, 15-, Extremely Hazardous) [-20]; Impulsiveness (12-) [-10]; OPH -1 (Can't Hold Still) [-5]; Overconfidence (6-) [-10]; Pacifism (Can't Harm Innocents) [-10]; Reputation -3 ("IST," Criminals, Supervillains, Etc, Always) [-5]; Reputation -1 ("IST," Non-UN Nations, Always) [-2]; Sense of Duty (Friends and Family) [-5]; Short Attention Span (12-) [-10]; Vow (Protect the Innocent) [-10];

Quirks: Broad-Minded [-1]; Devout Catholic [-1]; Mild Honesty [-1]; Mildly Lecherous [-1]; Proud [-1];

Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX [4]-13; Area Knowledge (E) (Argentina) IQ [1]-10, (Seoul) IQ [1]-10, (South Korea) IQ [1]-10; Brawling (E) DX+7 [24]-20; Carousing (E) HT [1]-15; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]-12; Computer Operation/TL9 (E) IQ [1]-10; Demolitions/TL9 (A) (EOD) IQ+1 [4]-11; Detect Lies (H) Per-2 [1]-8; Diplomacy (H) IQ-1 [2]-9; Fast-Draw (E) (Pistol) DX+1 [2]-14; First Aid/TL9 (E) IQ+2 [4]-12; Guns/TL9 (E) (Pistol) DX+2 [4]-15; Haz-Mat/TL9 (A) (Chemical) IQ-1 [1]-9, (Radioactive) IQ-1 [1]-9; History (UN / International) IQ-1 [2]-9; Intimidation (A) Will [2]-13; Judo (H) DX [4]-13; Mind Block (A) Will+1 [4]-14; Parachuting/TL9 (E) DX [1]-13; Soldier/TL9 (A) IQ [2]-10; Stealth (A) DX+1 [4]-14; Strategy (H) (Super) IQ-1 [2]-9; Swimming (E) HT [1]-15; Tactics (H) IQ-1 [2]-9;

Techniques: Bang! Zoom! (Improved Move-And-Attack) (Brawling) (H) Def+5 [6]-20; Uppercut (A) (Brawling) Def+1 [1]-20;

Notes: Traditional Speedster. Slams well with others. Wears something not unlike a red luchador costume with an orange flame motif. SPEAKS NO ENGLISH AT ALL. Top speed in excess of 600mph before factoring in ATR, but also highly maneuverable in close combat. The Bang! Zoom! Improved Move-And-Attack Technique allows any Brawling Move-And-Attack that originates from the waist up and targets the waist up, plus Stamp Kicks with any legal Stamp Kick target (ie: feet and prone people), to ignore the normal -4 penalty and 9- cap.

Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2013, 08:29:38 AM »

Name: Wei "Dancing Leaf" Jing [750MM]:

Culture: TL 9 [0]; Familiarity: Eastern [0]; Languages: Korean (Accented / Accented) [4], Mandarin (Native / Native) [0];  

Attributes: ST 7 [-30]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 16 [60];

Secondary: BL 10#; Dam 1d-3 / 1d-3; Spd 7.0 [0]; Mov 5 [-10]; HP 7 [0]; FP 16 [0]; Perception: 13 [5]; Willpower: 16 [20];

Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Danger Sense [15]; Legal Enforcement Powers [10]; Luck (Regular) (Defensive -20%) [12]; Military Rank x4 [20]; Patron (UN) (Appears 9-, Provides Equipment +100%, Wields Great Political Power +100%, Minimal Intervention -50%) [38]; Reputation +3 ("IST," All But Lg Group, Always) [10]; Talent x2 (Born War Leader) [10]; Talent x4 (Teleportation) [20];

Perks: Attribute Sub (Body Sense Based On HT) [1]; Brave [1]; Rule of 17 (Warp Affliction) [1];

Powers: Affliction x1 (Will: Advantage: [Warp w/: Extra Carrying Capacity: Extra Heavy +50%, Mental Carrying Capacity +20%, Reliable x10 +50%, Exoteleport -50%, Nuisance: Very Obvious -5%, Range Limit: 1000 Miles -15%, Super -10%] = +440%, Based on Will +20%, Malediction x2 +150%, Super -10%) [64]; Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction: 1/3) (Super -10%) [68]; Super Effort (+400% On 9 Points of Willpower, for Teleport Lift Only) (Super -10%) [162]; Warp (Blink +25%, Extra Carrying Capacity: Extra Heavy +50%, Mental Carrying Capacity +20%, No Strain +25%, Reliable x10 +50%, Nuisance: Very Obvious -5%, Range Limit: 1000 Miles -15%, Super -10%) [189];

Disadvantages: Charitable (12-) [-15]; Duty (IST, 15-, Extremely Hazardous) [-20]; Pacifism (Can't Harm Innocents) [-10]; Reputation -3 ("IST," Criminals, Supervillains, Etc, Always) [-5]; Reputation -1 ("IST," Non-UN Nations, Always) [-2]; Skinny [-5]; Workaholic [-5];

Quirks: Bad Knee [-1]; Careful [-1]; Congenial [-1]; Mildly Honest [-1]; Mildly Truthful [-1];

Skills: Area Knowledge (E) (Seoul) IQ [1]-12, (South Korea) IQ [1]-12, (Taiwan) IQ [1]-12; Body Sense (H) HT [4]-16; Computer Operation/TL9 (E) IQ [1]-12; Detect Lies (H) Per-2 [1]-11; Diplomacy (H) IQ-1 [2]-11; First Aid/TL9 (E) IQ [1]-12; Forward Observer/TL9 (A) IQ [2]-12; Haz-Mat/TL9 (A) (Chemical) IQ-1 [1]-11, (Radioactive) IQ-1 [1]-11; History (UN / International) IQ-1 [2]-11; Intelligence Analysis/TL9 (H) IQb [1]-12; Judo (H) DX+4 [20]-16; Leadership (A) IQ-3b [0]-9; Mind Block (A) Will [2]-16; Observation (A) Per [2]-13; Savoir-Faire (E) (Military) IQ-2b [0]-10; Stealth (A) DX-1 [1]-11; Strategy (H) (Super) IQ+1b [2]-13; Tactics (H) IQ+1b [2]-13;

b = +2 for Born War Leader

Notes: Fast, reliable, high-capacity, long-range teleporter. She can teleport anything under 510# (11,858# w/ Super-Effort) that loses a contest of Will+Talent (at long range penalties between her and the target, then capped at 17- for Rule of 17) vs Will, with a range of 1,000 miles between the target and its destination. She is also a conservative and inexperienced but talented tactician with good instincts and nerves of steel.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 04:40:23 AM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2013, 10:26:17 AM »

Well, Bob finally had two errant seconds to rub together for me . . ..  And now I've seen the outline for IST25.

Shocked -- I've promised to use my powers only for good.

So, let's see about getting everyone polished off and ready to go.  I'm going to aim for this Sunday (8/25).
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length