+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  The Fortress of Xie'e Wu Xing
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Fortress of Xie'e Wu Xing  (Read 15852 times)
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 05:51:17 PM »

Katayama Gorobei, Samurai Archer (400 points)
Gorobei is a loyal samurai of Tanomura Clan, sent to investigate the reports of increased banditry in the mountainous southern reaches of the Province. Seasoned officer, expert archer, and loyal servant of the Daimyo (his uncle), Gorobei is unswerving in his dedication to serve the interests of the Clan.

Attributes: ST 14 [40]; DX 16 [120]; IQ 13 [60]; HT 13 [30].

Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d/2d; BL 39 lbs.; HP 16 [4]; Will 14 [5]; Per 13 [0]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 7.25 [0]; Basic Move 7 [0].

Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Heroic Archer [20]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Legal Enforcement Powers (Samurai) [10]; Signature Gear (Dai-kyu; Daisho) [6]; Status 2 (Bushi) [10]; Weapon Master (Kyujutsu!) [20]. • Perks: Brave [1]; Infinite Ammo (Normal Arrows) [1]; Samurai Bows [1]; Samurai Swords [1]; Strongbow [1]; Weapon Bond (Sig. Dai-kyu) [1]; Weapon Bond (Sig. Katana) [1].

Disadvantages: Arachnophobia [-5]; Bad Temper [-10]; Code of Honor [-15]; Duty (Tanomura Clan) [-5]; Honesty [-15]; Incurious [-5]; No Sense of Humor [-10]; Sense of Duty (Friends & Companions) [-5]; Sense of Duty (Tanomura Clan) [-10]. • Quirks: Alcohol Intolerance [-1]; Attentive [-1]; Proud [-1]; Staid [-1]; Traditionalist [-1].

Wildcard Skills: Budo! IQ [24]; Courtier! IQ-1 [12]; Kyujutsu! DX+3 [60].

Other Skills: Broadsword (A) DX+1 [4]; Climbing (A) DX-1 [1]; Fast-Draw (Sword) (A) DX+1 [1]; Judo (H) DX [4]; Karate (H) DX [4]; Stealth (A) DX [2]; Swimming (E) HT [1]; Throwing (A) DX-1 [1]; Two-Handed Sword (A) DX+1 [4].
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:24:20 PM by Lex » Logged
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 07:32:40 PM »

Yogore, Ninja (400 points)
A few weeks ago, the Shogun spoke these words to an empty room: "I wish I knew what was going on in Tanomura Province. I wish I knew if the rumors were true." At that moment, a shadow stirred, and Yogore was on his way. Yogore is a shadow on the wall, or he might be that innocuous-looking peasant over there. He has no individual ego or identity of his own, but only knowledge of Mask and Mission. The Mask is used and discarded; the Mission is eternal and unwavering. He's happy to travel with samurai in his favorite guise, that of a hinin manservant; he slips away (to "hide," as a good manservant will) when trouble arises.

Attributes: ST 11 [10]; DX 15 [100]; IQ 15 [100]; HT 13 [30].

Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d/2d-1; BL 24 lbs.; HP 12 [2]; Will 15 [0]; Per 15 [0]; FP 13 [0]; Basic Speed 8.00 [20]; Basic Move 8 [0].

Advantages: Combat Reflexes [15]; Gizmos 3 [15]; Signature Gear (Kusari-gama, Ninja-to & Saya; Fine; Ninja) [1]; Striking ST 2 [10]; Trained by a Master [30]; Unusual Background (Ninja Training) [10]; Weapon Master (Kama, Kusari, Ninja-to, Saya/Blowpipe; added to TBAM) [15]. • Perks: Forgettable Face [1]; Infinite Ammo (Flash & Smoke Nageteppo; Star & Spike Suriken) [4]; Quick-Sheathe [1]; Reach Mastery [1]; Throwing Sense [1]; Weapon Bond (Signature Kusari-gama & Ninja-to) [2].

Disadvantages: Bloodlust [-10]; Callous [-5]; Code of Honor (Ninja) [-10]; Fanaticism (The Mission) [-15]; Secret (Ninja) [-30]. • Quirks: Broad Minded [-1]; Humble [-1]; Lacks personal identity [-1]; Method Actor [-1]; Nosy [-1].

Wildcard Skills: Itinerant! IQ-1 [12]; Shinobi! IQ+2 [48]; Taijutsu! IQ+2 [48].

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:24:15 PM by Lex » Logged
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »

This is awesome, thanks for posting it, Lex. Sorry it's taken me this long to read it; busy week at work.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 11:03:20 AM »

Thanks! It's been stewing in my head and hard drive for years, and finally crystallized into something playable when I stumbled across the box about Style Wildcards in Martial Arts. I've never used Wildcards much before, but I'm hoping that they'll simplify and streamline things for a cleanly cinematic style.

Anyway, feedback is welcome (I've already identified a slew of errors in trying to cobble together Pregens and Villains), as are custom-built PCs ...  I may post a few more pregens in the coming weeks, likely after the last stages of StarCraft: Game Over, Man! (which I'm also totally stoked about).
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 09:00:40 AM »

Bashō the Wanderer, Your Garden-Variety Tanuki Henge-Yokai [400]:

Image: A fat, bald man in his early-to-mid 40s, dressed in a humble robe and wooden sandals. Behind the mask covering his mouth and nose are a Fu Manchu mustache and sharp, rodent-like teeth. Under his robe... is a place best not explored.

Culture: TL: 3ish [0]; Familiarity: Nipponese [0]; Languages: Nipponese (Native / Native) [0];

Attributes: ST 12 [20]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 12 [20];

Secondaries: Dam 1d / 2d-1; BL 29#; Spd 7.0 [20]; Mov 7 [0]; HP 15 [6]; FP 10 [-6]; Per 14 [10]; Will 13 [5];

Advantages: Acute Sense x1 (Hearing) [2]; Acute Sense x2 (Smell) [4]; Alternate Form (Raccoon-Dog) (Reduced Time x4 +80%) [27]; Animal Empathy [5]; Claws (Blunt) [3]; Combat Reflexes [15]; Danger Sense [15]; Discriminatory Smell (w/ Empathy +50%) [23]; DR x1 [5]; Fit [5]; High Pain Threshold [10]; Invisibility (Can Carry: Lt Enc +20%, Switchable +10%, Magical -10%, Requires Stealth Roll -5%, Vs Substantial Only -10%) [42]; Magery x0 [5]; Night Vision x5 [5]; See Invisible (Spirits) (True Sight +50%, Magical -10%) [21]; Speak With Animals (Raccoon-Dogs Only -66%) [5]; Striker (Crushing) (Long +100%, Nuisance Effect: -3 Reactions -15%, Nuisance Effect: Reveals Exact Supernatural Type -5%) [9]; Striking ST +1 [5]; Striking ST +6 (Magical -10%, One Attack: Striker Only -60%) [9]; Teeth (Sharp) [1];

Perks: Brave [1]; Clinch (Brawling) [1]; Dirty Fighting [1]; Honest Face [1]; Injury Tolerance (No Special Groin Effects) [1];

Disadvantages: Appearance (Unattractive) [-4]; Chummy (Gregarious) [-10]; Compulsion (Carousing) (12-) [-5], Generosity (9-) [-7]; Curious (12-) [-5]; Fat (Regular) [-3]; Gluttony (6-) [-10]; Gullibility (12-) [-10]; Impulsiveness (15-) [-5]; Secret (Yokai) [-20]; Sense of Duty (Friends and Companions) [-5]; Unnatural Features (Gigantic Tanuki Balls, Obvious Claws, Sharp Teeth) [-3]; Vow (No Weapons) [-15]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10];

Quirks: Humble [-1]; Likes His Sake [-1]; Mild Lecherousness [-1]; Mild Trickster [-1]; Night Person [-1]; Responsive [-1]; Wanderlust [-1];

Skills: Acrobatics (H) DX [4]-12; Brawling (E) DX+12 [44]-24; Carousing (E) HT [1]-12; Itinerant! (WC) IQ-2 [6]-10; Judo (H) DX [4]-12; Occult Lore! (WC) IQ-1 [12]-11; Trickster! (WC) IQ+4 [72]-16;

Raccoon-Dog Form: ST -2 [-20]; Per +2 [10]; SM -1 [0]; Accessory (Climbing Claws) [1], (Digging Claws) [1]; DR +1 [5]; Enhanced Dodge +1 [15]; Enhanced Move x1/2 (Ground) [10]; Fur [1]; Night Vision +4 [4]; Silence x1 [5]; Striking ST +2 (Magical -10%, One Attack: Striker Only -60%) [3]; Quadruped [-35];

Notes: Disadvantage and Quirk limits exceeded due to racial template.

Background: Humble wandering ascetic, lusty lover of life, jack of all trades, master of none, occasional righter-of-wrongs, occasional causer-of-wrongs... the "man" called Bashō is kin to none, friend to all, and a study in contrasts. He has heard the rumors of unrest in the southern provinces, and his insatiable curiosity has drawn him to make his meandering way there and see what's happening in the merriest company that will have him.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 05:51:34 PM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 10:32:24 AM »

Awesome, thanks for posting him!
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2014, 12:08:34 PM »

As the first arc of LGMs draws to a close, I'm gearing back up to run the Fortress, with the official rules addendum:

As noted in the freshly-edited Powers post, the material from Thaumatology: Chinese Elemental Powers is now available to PCs with the appropriate prerequisites -- most likely Shugenja, Yamabushi, or gaijin sorcerers (Wu).

ETA: Also revised the Henge-yokai templates (just rearranged things, really) in response to feedback.

More pregens forthcoming.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 04:46:51 PM by Lex » Logged
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2014, 06:16:22 PM »

Cinematic, Optional, and House Rules

The following optional and house rules are in effect.

* Pretty much all of the optional sauce from Martial Arts, Chapter Four.

* Cinematic Combat options (pp. 125-128) for all eligible characters, and Chambara Fighting options (pp. 128-130) for characters with Trained by a Master and/or Weapon Master.

* Destiny (variant, MH1 p. 23). Instead of its normal (rather nebulous) effect, Destiny gives the character phantom points to spend only on Other Uses for Points.

* Hyper-Competency (MH1 p. 28). Wildcard skills at sufficient levels give the character phantom points to spend on Other Uses for Points, but only in ways that relate to the Wildcard.

* Other Uses for Points (MH1 p. 31), including Buying Success, Player Guidance (both p. 347), and Flesh Wounds (p. B417).

* Parrying Unarmed Attacks (p. B376) inflicts only half damage on the attacker, and for hafted weapons (axes, spears, polearms, etc), this is always crushing damage. Swords and knives, which parry with the blade, inflict cutting damage, though it's still halved.

* Masters' Duel. When two Masters fight, it's difficult and foolish for others to intervene. Any time that two characters with Trained by a Master or Weapon Master mutually agree to enter one-on-one combat (agreement need not be verbal, a shared glare and a nod from each will suffice), they become locked in a Masters' Duel. As long as neither combatant disengages (flees) or focuses on another target, anyone else trying to attack either duelist is subject to all of the rules for Striking Into a Close Combat (p. B392), even if the masters are several hexes apart at the moment. Likewise, the Masters have -2 to all attacks (but not defenses) against anyone other than their chosen antagonist; they may make attacks (especially counters, ripostes, etc) against outsiders who are within reach, but they must mix these with attacks against their chosen foe. Taking an entire turn's worth of actions directed at a target other than the chosen foe ends the duel.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 06:21:48 PM by Lex » Logged
tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 05:39:15 PM »

I've been kicking around an idea for a character, based loosely on the protagonist of Joel Rosenberg's books, "D'Shai" and "Hour of the Octopus." Basically, he's a magical detective.

So, I'm thinking about magical information-gathering, social skills, but only moderate butt-kicking. I'll read the background info and spell-list more thoroughly, to figure out if this even qualifies as a valid character concept for this setting.

I'll put something together, this weekend.

"Our problem is, our plans never survive contact with US!" -Christopher Denny, veteran gamer, incorrigible punster.
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 01:23:04 PM »

I've been kicking around an idea for a character, based loosely on the protagonist of Joel Rosenberg's books, "D'Shai" and "Hour of the Octopus." Basically, he's a magical detective.

Never read them, but 'magical detective' is a totally workable idea. A priest or a sorcerer would work equally well, depending on the angle you wanted to come at it from. A priest could be a wandering Shinto or Zen exorcist, and will use the Mysticism abilities from Monster Hunters 1, while a sorcerer uses Ritual Path Magic (which works more like the magic system from Mage: the Ascension or Ars Magica, if you're familiar), highly improvisational.

In either case, you could easily be a native Nipponese, or a gaijin (Chinese) mystic from the mainland.

So, I'm thinking about magical information-gathering, social skills, but only moderate butt-kicking. I'll read the background info and spell-list more thoroughly, to figure out if this even qualifies as a valid character concept for this setting.

I'd go with either Occult! or a Priest wildcard, and one or more of Courtier! (if you're a noble), Gambler! (a hinin sorcerer), Itinerant! (for a priest), or Talker! (from Monster Hunters 1, basically all kinds of Influence skills wrapped into one).

You could be samurai mage as well ... you'd also be expected to be able to fight with a sword, shoot a bow, ride a horse, etc, but you don't have to take TbaM or Weapon Master if you don't want to. It'll be kind of interesting if we don't have any martial arts masters...
tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »

Okay, as noted in yesterday's session, I don't have a good handle on how to deal with Martial Arts at the levels we're using.

Also, as a point of information, I have never used bang! skills in any campaign.

So, using Martial Arts with bang! skills has me pretty confused.

Here's my character. He's the sort of face-man/investigator/generalist that the party always seems to need but which we never seem to get anybody to play. I kind of like playing them, so I put one together.

If you guys could take a look at him, and tell me what his combat skills should be -- and help me understand why they should be that way -- I'd sure appreciate it.

If we need a few more points, I can drop the four-point skills down a bit, but he is NOT supposed to be a combat-monster. Chris' character fills that niche nicely, and Matt's does pretty well, too.

Let me know what you guys think.

Katsutoshi Hayashi
Honorable Inquisitor

400 pts

ST 11 [10]
DX 13 [60]
IQ 14 [80]
HT 11 [10]
Secondary Characteristics: SM: 0; Damage Thr 1d-1, Sw 1d+1; BL; HP 11; Will 14;
Per 16 (10); FP ; Speed 6; Move 6; Dodge: 10

Advantages:
Combat Reflexes [15]
Fit (+1 HT, conscious, death, etc. Fatigue x2) [5]
High-Pain Threshold (+3 Knockdown, Stunning, Will +3 Pain)[10]
Legal Enforcement Powers [10]
Magery 2 (RPM) [25]
Patron (Daimyo, Extremely Powerful, 6-less) [8]
Single-Minded [5]
Smooth Operator 2 [30]
-Acting
-Carousing
-Detect Lies
-Diplomacy
-Fast Talk
-Intimidation
-Leadership
-Panhandling
-Politics
-Public Speaking
-Savior-Faire
-Sex Appeal
-Streetwise
Status 2 [10]
Wealth (Comfortable) [10]

Perks
Honest Face [1]

Disadvantages:
Duty (Tanomura Daimyo, 9-less, Extremely Hazardous) (-15)
SOD (People of Tanomura Province) (-10)
Code of Honor (Bushido) (-15)
Overconfidence (-5)
Pacifism (Cannot Harm Innocents) (-10)
Workaholic (-5)

Quirks:
Broad-Minded (-1)
Careful (-1)
Imaginative (-1)
Responsive (-1)
Likes to Gamble (-1)

Martial Arts:
Trained by a Master [30]

Broadsword 14 (Katana) (Avg., DX+1) [4]
Short Sword 14 (Wakizashi)  (Avg., DX+1) [4]
Fast Draw (Katana) 13 (DX Easy) [1]
Fast Draw (Wakizashi) 13 (DX Easy) [1]

Kenjutsu [3]
Style Familiarity [1]
Weapon Master (Nito Ryu) [20]
-Techniques
--Counterattack (Katana) 9 (Hard)
--Counterattack (Wakizashi) 9 (Hard)
--Feint (Broadsword) 9 (Hard)
--Feint (Shortsword) 9 (Hard)
--Targeted Attacks (Brdswd Swg Neck) 9
-Cinematic Skills
--Mental Strength
--Power Blow
-Cinematic Techniques
--Dual-Weapon Attack 10 (DX Hard) [0]
--Dual-Weapon Defense 10 (DX Hard) [0]
--Timed Defense 10
--Whirlwind Attack 10
-Perks
--Offhand Weapon Training
--Unusual Attack (DWA same foe)

Ritual    Magic Maho! 14 (IQ VH)[24]
All rituals from:
-Path of Cunning
-Dreams
-Form
-Health
-Knowledge
-Luck
-Protection
-Spirit

Area Knowledge 14 (Tonamura Province) (IQ-E) [1]
Breath Control 11 (HT-Hard) [4]
Current Affairs 14 (Tonamura Province) (IQ-E) [1]
Criminology 14 (TL3ish) (IQ-Avg) [2]
Cryptography 13 (TL3ish) (IQ-Hard) [2]
Diplomacy 14 (IQ-Hard) [1]
+2 Smooth Operator
First Aid 14 (TL3ish) (IQ-E) [1]
Forensics 14 (TL3ish) (IQ-H) [4]
Gambling  13 (IQ-1) [1]
Intelligence Analysis 13 (IQ-H) [2]
Interrogation 13 (IQ-Avg) [1]
Intimidation 15 (Will-Avg) [1]
+2 Smooth Operator
Law 13 (IQ-Hard) [2]
Leadership 15 (IQ-Avg) [1]
+2 Smooth Operator
Lock-Picking 13 (IQ-Avg) [1]
Meditation 13 (Will-Avg) [2]
Observation 15 (Per-Avg) [2]
Occult Lore 14 (IQ VH) [24]
-Limits Maho!
Pickpocket 11 (DX-Hard) [1]
Politics 14 (IQ-Avg) [1]
+2 Smooth Operator
Riding (Horse) 13 (DX-Avg) [2]
Running 10 (HT-Avg) [1]
Savior Faire (Nipponese) 16 (IQ-E)[1]
+2 Smooth Operator
Search 16 (Per-Avg) [2]
Stealth 14 (DX+1) [4]
Streetwise 15 (IQ-Avg) [1]
+2 Smooth Operator
Survival (Mountain) 15 (Per-Avg) [1]
Swimming 11 (HT-E) [1]
Tactics 12 (IQ-H) [1]
Tracking 14 (Per-Avg) [1]
Traps 13 (IQ-Avg) [2]

"Our problem is, our plans never survive contact with US!" -Christopher Denny, veteran gamer, incorrigible punster.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 01:59:48 AM »

Okay, as noted in yesterday's session, I don't have a good handle on how to deal with Martial Arts at the levels we're using.

Hi.

Also, as a point of information, I have never used bang! skills in any campaign.

The really important thing to know about Bang! skills is that they're really only good for two things: Simplicity, and the optional rules from Monster Hunters where they give you auto-successes that Lex is using in this campaign. Other than that they're sort of crap and it's nearly always better to buy up one or two of the subordinate skills really high and sink a point into the others. A partial exception is martial arts style Bang!s, because they not only give you every style skill at their level, but every style technique at that level also.

If we need a few more points, I can drop the four-point skills down a bit, but he is NOT supposed to be a combat-monster. Chris' character fills that niche nicely, and Matt's does pretty well, too.

My guy has barely enough combat stuff to not be a slack-jawed bystander in this game's fights. The ability to knock a grown-ass man unconscious with your testicles doesn't make you some kind of tough guy in this setting. If he wasn't invisible he'd get slaughtered. :]

Let me know what you guys think.

A few thoughts: Right now you've got 30 points in Smooth Operator Talent and 6 points in 6 skills that benefit from it. Not to mention that you also bought +2 Perception, so that's 40 points for +2 in things that (other than Carousing and Sex Appeal) purely enhance IQ, when you could just buy IQ +2 for 40 points. Unless you intend to seriously invest in more and better social skills in the future, especially the HT-based ones, you're probably better off just getting the same levels in a few of the ones you bought that Bashō doesn't get from Trickster!-16 (ie: Acting, Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, and Intimidation) for 4 points each, such as Streetwise, and using the points you save from that 30 elsewhere.

If Tod's dropping the game and you're the only magic guy, you might want to invest in that a little more. This would also mean buying up your Occult Lore!, of course, but I suck at that anyway. You get 1 virtual CP / session to spend on automatic successes for every 12 points in a bang! skill, which includes Maho! Note that bang! skills are typically marked (WC) rather than (VH).

I'd probably chop down DX and invest in higher Broadsword. Shortsword defaults to Broadsword at -2, so you don't really have to buy it at all unless it's mandatory for one of your styles, in which case you can still just drop 1 point into it to satisfy the requirement and operate off the Broadsword default if it's better.

Don't bother with the Counterattack technique unless you max it out at Skill level for 6 points. It's not worth it otherwise. Same goes for Dual Weapon Attack, except that's only 5 to max out. I recommend that you avoid Whirlwind Attack entirely if you can't turn invisible, since it requires an AoA to execute and will generally get you killed.

This guy seriously needs the Detect Lies (Per/H) skill; as-written his default's only 12 and he'll believe anything Bashō says. ;]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:23:20 AM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 06:17:12 PM »

The really important thing to know about Bang! skills is that they're really only good for two things: Simplicity, and the optional rules from Monster Hunters where they give you auto-successes that Lex is using in this campaign. Other than that they're sort of crap and it's nearly always better to buy up one or two of the subordinate skills really high and sink a point into the others. A partial exception is martial arts style Bang!s, because they not only give you every style skill at their level, but every style technique at that level also.

I hadn't ever used Bang! skills before this campaign, but I'm pretty well sold on them now. They do make things much simpler, more like Savage Worlds' abstract skills. The gist is that you take one skill that fills a thematic role, rather than a bunch of related skills. So a Style! wildcard stands in for virtually anything awesome you try to do with your sword, while Detective! stands in for virtually any Holmes-esques feat of observation or deduction you attempt, etc. It keeps you from running into that situation where you didn't take the one specialization you needed for this task... if the task fits into the wildcard's theme, it stands in for any skill.

For Hayashi, I'd consider replacing all of your sword skills with Nito Ryu! DX+2 [48] ... you can get some of those points from Weapon Master (Nito Ryu), which due to house rules, only costs 5 points if you already have Trained by a Master. Or, you could get rid of TBAM and just keep WM (Nito Ryu -- for the full 20 points now, since you got rid of TBAM), since TBAM is mostly useful for unarmed fighting (Judo/Karate). In short, when fighting with your swords, Weapon Master gives all the same benefits as TBAM, plus the sweet damage bonus (+2 per die if you have the skill at DX+2).

If so, you get to roll vs. Nito Ryu! with both swords, and you get all of the style's techniques, including Dual Weapon Fighting (the main shtick of Nito Ryu), for free. It also replaces Fast-Draw with any katana or wakizashi, as well as athletic skills (Acrobatics, Jumping, etc) when using them in combat. And perhaps best of all, it you gives all of the style's Cinematic skills. Also, it covers things like Intimidation and Meditation, as long as you have a sword at hand.

For other bang skills, you could totally replace Smooth Operator and most of the skills it impacts with Talker! ... or things like First Aid, Intel Analysis, Leadership, Riding, Savoir-Faire (Bushi), and Tactics with Budo! ... or things like Criminology, Cryptography, Forensics, Interrogation, Law, Observation, and Search with Detective! They're expensive enough that once you get more than one at Attribute+0 level, it's cheaper to just bump up the attribute.

He's definitely the primary combat monster, but there will be enough combat that a little redundancy in that department isn't a bad idea. Still, Sanjuro has a good 6 skill levels and 2 dice of damage on you, so I wouldn't worry about outshining him in combat.

Christopher
Administrator

Resistance is worthwhile.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2014, 07:12:32 AM »

I'd also say that you should be wearing armor and taking advantage of the dual weapon techniques, since your character doesn't have those limitations as part of their shtick. Also archery.

Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2014, 09:07:31 AM »

I'd also say that you should be wearing armor and taking advantage of the dual weapon techniques, since your character doesn't have those limitations as part of their shtick. Also archery.

Depending on social status, resources, and your Dodge, armor is sometimes not-so-great in this setting. My PC is definitely better off going bare-back compared to what he could legally wear because of all his Stealth crap, but yours might not be (I haven't looked it up).

Dual Weapon Technique and/or Archery may be a good idea.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length