+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  Call of the dragon god
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Call of the dragon god  (Read 2867 times)
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2013, 04:22:33 PM »

Well about the turn coats thing I was thinking of it and honestly my group would assume he would betray them and it would probably end in a team killing spree and I wanted to avoid that. As for the bug men same reason they assume alot and its hard to make them see things can be different from the whole. -sighs.- why i have such trouble making a campaign that doesn't get derailed. if I don't carefully think things through it happens its like they try to do it or something.

Have you tried just sitting down with your players and saying, "Here's my intent for this campaign: I'd like to scale the challenges to be tough but surmountable for a coordinated, cooperative group, and if you guys fall to bickering you'll be roadkill. Everybody is required to take Sense of Duty (Adventuring Companions) [-5]. You get the 5 points and it doesn't count against your Disadvantage limit, but if you act against the team you get docked XP. Any questions?"

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »

I have tried things like that. But they seem to at some point stop caring and go back to how they are. mind you I would stop playing with them. but i live in the middle of no where and it would be hell finding new players. I will try it again with more points maybe so they have more incentive to behave and maybe have a penalty for those that don't like a "curse" of some kind not the disadvantage but a custom curse i made up.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2013, 05:49:15 AM »

Docking all their XP for the session when they fuck up the campaign theme isn't good enough? I've known gamers who'd react to that like you grabbed a hatchet at the game table and cut off their fucking finger.

Nevertheless, if you're stuck with the same players and determined to continue running games (rather than curtly inform them that their shenanigans do not provide you with fun proportionate to your effort), you might consider a can't-beat-'em-join-'em approach. If they keep turning your games into something they're not, maybe you should offer to run what they keep turning your games into. Run "Hey guys, who's up for brutal, no-holds-barred PvP?" up the flagpole and see who salutes...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:54:02 AM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Lex

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »

Yeah, punishment-based incentives like docking XP can only get you so far in a game that's being played for fun. If you leave a bad taste in the players' mouths by constantly docking their XP, they're less likely to care about the game or their characters, and thus the incentive gets less and less effective as time goes on.

I agree with G&AINC, the only god solution I've found (other than bowing out of the group) is to give them more of what they want. If they want constant combat-slogs, give them constant combat-slogs ... and try to make the battle Awesome.

Hopefully, this will make them care more about their characters and the game, and when they least expect it, sneak some role-playing in there!
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »

Honestly relizing they don't like fantasy and somehow thought telling me this would offend me e.e honestly I don't care I just want a damn campaign they ccan stick with. >.< so we all agreed fallout is awesome and that means onto my new campain idea converting some of fallout to Gurps x.x I have seen some conversions but they get too caught up in making the stats as close to fallout it hamstrings gurps into being slightly less then it should.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length