+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  Fallout GURPS edition. XD well hopefuly.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fallout GURPS edition. XD well hopefuly.  (Read 4380 times)
Azrael

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2014, 09:08:54 PM »

Just like it sounds I have a rather haphazardly conversion of it. Its not pretty and more then a little confusing with how they went about it. It would take more work to fix it then it would to just make it from scratch. The main thing is Fallout is a brutal you fuck around you get turned into a pancake and shit on type game. The first two and new Vegas are true to that. 3 was too soft and a little too cheerful for the fallout universe. anything from the fallout brotherhood of steel games are non-cannon so i wouldn't hear the end of it if I used anything from those two messes of a game. The guns are not too bad. The list is short with what survived the war. The universe is slightly different then ours but not so much as to be difficult to understand to someone that never heard of fallout.  I will link some guns pages and the bestiary.

Guns:  http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_weapons (Ignore the unique weapons for the moment they are mostly under the normal ones.)

Armor: d_clothing" target="_blank">http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_armor_an d_clothing (the hard part for these is making the heavy armor the proper DR. most armor has little to no plasma,fire, laser, and explosive protection save for the heavy. the medium and light have at best minor protection. though some perks that can be taken in the game help that.)

Perks: I am just going to do away with the perks and just give them a limited list of advantages they can use so it doesn't seem to crazy huge. doing this seems to  help them make characters without getting overwhelmed.

Skills: just going to use GURPS standard skills and make a list for them again.

Bestiary: s" target="_blank">http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_creature s (this is the part that proves the bigger challenge. though  could just multiply their stats by two and get their scores. though in gurps that would be under powering the deathclaw. the wastelands badass mutant animal.)

Aid items: les" target="_blank">http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_consumab les (stealth boys are more going to be taken from the fallout 1&2 game as they are rechargeable and make more sense. most other items need that make over too some are good to go with minor changes.)

SO the main issue isn't the character creation. Its making the animals, guns, armor, special items like stealth boys, and other things like implants for cyborgs. I wouldn't mind some help converting it if anyone was up for it. i was gonna handle the cyborg part for now since i can see that being a huge thing for them. not too bad most of its going to be one of three kinds of implants Vault type(small and few weaknesses but next to impossible to get), Followers/brotherhood/enclave/high-tech type( slightly larger with more weaknesses. A little difficult to get but can be gotten with a little work), Common type (large bulky and have multiple weaknesses though anyone with an auto doc can get them.) Most raise your four core stats or their secondary, some raise DR, and give LOW end hp Regen. Their will be a few more rare implants available by the higher up groups.t he low end however only has those I just stated. will start working on them soon.
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »

Okay so I was going to apply a Implant tolerance. It will be based off your Natural Hp and HT o-o The HP giving 2pts per hp up to the racial max. The HT giving 5 points per HT up to the racial max. so the healthier you are the more implants you can get. But each implant takes from those points the better the implant the more it takes from you. as well as costing points and money to get them. This way we don't have insane amounts of Implants. o-o at least if your not becoming a cyber version of the hulk.

Because most people will want DX for guns, sneaking, lockpicking, and energy weapons. they will also want IQ for science and other smart survivor skills. So unless they are going to make a dumb hulk being overly cybered isn't something that one can do alot of.

Well most base stats can be boosted for for about the same points though I am thinking 10 for the moment. They all can go past the racial max by 25% or 5 points for humans. So the max would be 25 HT, ST, IQ, and DX.  Health I was thinking of letting it go +70% so with the normal 30% adds up to having 40 BUT it does not count to your Implant tolerance in fact no Implant stat boosts do.

also i have my reasons fluff wise for the extreme HP. Most of the cyborgs encountered seem to take insane damage even to their head. seemingly ignoring all but the most high caliber weapons. some even are on the verge of being unkillable like the final boss of fallout 2 he takes four minigun plasma weapons unloading on him while you and up to three followers pound him with headshot after headshot from even rocket launchers. XD so i just wanted it to be a little more toned down then that but still show how the series shows cyborgs.

So Implant tolerence costs are as follows for the moment.

*10pts for - ST, DX, IQ, and HT up to +25% beyond racial max.
*2pts per HP up to a aditinal 70%.
*5pts per DR up to 5 DR in this manner max. maybe 10DR not sure on it.
* 15pts to a total of 60 for the higher up regen. Regen of the lower types from the followers and some upper end regen from brotherhood, enclave, and vaults.
*Some enhancments to your senses possibly entirely replace your eyes/ears. to give you inhuman thermal, night, or some other vision.
*2pts for some lower end filter parts like radiation filtering out of food and water by modifying your stomach.
*10pts per +1 enhanced targeting systems giving you a bonus with weapons.
*Possibly enhanced damage systems that give you pointers of how and were to hit your foe. might require cyber eyes before it. might also be by class of creature such as Huminoid, Ghoul, Mutant, super mutant, abomination, and mutated animal. things like that.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:55:44 PM by Azrael » Logged
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 04:06:43 PM »

Okay I need help on the armor its kinda hard to get to work as in the original game it has multiple armor scores.
Normal
fire
explosive
laser
plasma
electricity
EMP(robotics only. organics have 100% immunity.)

Gurps has ways of doing this but well picking out how to balance it so it works with the weapons is going to be rough as we pretty much have to find a base point for the weapons.... then fidget with the armor until it works together.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 08:58:47 PM »

Okay I need help on the armor its kinda hard to get to work as in the original game it has multiple armor scores.
Normal
fire
explosive
laser
plasma
electricity
EMP(robotics only. organics have 100% immunity.)

Gurps has ways of doing this but well picking out how to balance it so it works with the weapons is going to be rough as we pretty much have to find a base point for the weapons.... then fidget with the armor until it works together.

So are you looking to re-categorize GURPS damage to the above types and rate armor against each category, or just to define what existing kind of GURPS damage each of the above would qualify as? The former would be a reinvention of the wheel with which I wish you lots of luck, IMHO. For the latter:

Normal: Generic Injury with no modifiers. Done.
Fire: Usually Burning.
Explosive: Not a damage type; anything that uses the explosion rules (usually Crushing Incendiary or Burning)
Laser: Usually Tight-Beam Burning
Plasma: Burning
Electricity: Usually Burning with the Surge +20% Enhancement and sometimes a Stun Side-Effect
EMP: Usually Burning with No Wounding -50% and either Surge +20% or both Only vs Electrical -20% and a Stun or Unconsciousness Side-Effect if built as an attack, or could just be a similar Affliction without using damage mechanics.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 12:08:22 AM »

Plasma, in Fallout would be tight-beam burning as well.
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 01:08:18 PM »

Well it sounds like burning in general would be most of the damage types so maybe have it be

Normal
Burning(with the enhancements being mostly on the higher end armor like combat armor, power armor, and some rare oddball armors or even maybe a low end player made armor ment to combat these damages.)
crushing

with most armors sides power not having the crushing resist and mainly the metal armors and specialty treated armor resist the burning in high amounts. Because just like in the fallout universe explosives are way overpowered and tend to instant kill or maim horribly.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 03:58:03 PM »

The best way of doing it would be to have two DR values--almost like how Hero does it.
You'd have pDR (Physical DR) for any physical attacks and eDR (Energy DR) for burning attacks of any stripe.

But, really, the best thing to do is to not convert all of their ideas over and just go with what GURPS[/b] provides.  Most energy weapons in GURPS[/b] have armor divisors, so they'll be more effective against light armor.  Heavy armor will deal with all attacks fairly well.
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »

true.... Thats a very good point XD I was over thinking it. I tend to do that alot on my own hense why I like talking it out with you guys. Makes me come back down to more logical ways of doing it. it also makes sense. though powerarmor is most likely going to have some serious hardening to stop some of the later energy weapons.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 04:44:16 PM »

First thing, you're going to be dealing with multiple TLs for Fallout.

TL9 Powered Combat Armor (UT pg 186) had DR 70/50.

A TL10 Laser Rifle (UT pg 116) does 6d(2) burn.  On a very lucky hit, it can penetrate the lightly-armored areas.

A TL11 Blaster Rifle (UT pg 123) does 6d(5) burn.  That's 6d vs DR 14/10.  That's an average of 7/11 points through DR.

But, really, that's kinda how Fallout plays out--Plasma weapons ruin everyones day.  So, hardened armor isn't a necessity.
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 12:49:00 AM »

True but not as bad as the rail weapons..... those are rare and mostly single shot sniper rifles putting a .50 rifle to shame for damage. plus most energy weapons have the Bulky enhancment and break down easily. Most of the power armor has sealed and radiation resistance as well as gas immunity. so the energy weapons are also loud and bright. so the main advantage to guns are. More compact, lighter, easier to maintain, cheaper, and can be silenced. Energy weapons mainly play out as loud high damage large awkward weapons. many of them without even true iron sights. so I am not sure how to play that out.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 01:12:29 AM »

Reduced Acc.  Increased Malf.

Really, you're over-thinking it.  To paraphrase the MST3k Mantra:  Repeat to yourself "it's just a game, I should really just relax."

A TL9 7mm Sniper Railgun (UT pg 141-142) does 6dx2 (3) pi.

If you want to reflect a lot of it, then give all guns a HT check after X shots.  If it fails, its Malf goes down by one.  Or, if you want to be harder on the players, after X shots it automatically goes down.

Make all DR semi-ablative, so that it gets chipped away as it takes damage.
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »

>.< ya I took a deep breath and started going through the guns but... well the .45-70 revolver isn't in the GURPS book. o-o It pretty much fires a rifle round but has a modified shell so it won't work in a rifle and vice-versa. I was thinking of fudging that fact because well in a game we don't need needless complications like that. So its pretty much a shorter range, less accurate, and higher recoild version of the .45-70 rifle. nice for CQB.

.45-70 Rifle.                             dam   acc      range        weight  rof  ammo      st   bulk   rcl   cost   LC
6 Winchester Model 86, .45-70   5d pi+ 3   470/3,000     7.6/0.3   2    4+1(2i)   10† -5     4    $650    3

.45-70 Revolver.                       dam    acc      range        weight  rof  ammo      st   bulk   rcl   cost   LC
.45-70 Hunting Revolver            4d pi+ 1    329/2,100    5.6/0.3    1    5(3i)      13†  -4      5    $1300   3

EDIT: Okay updated it with Bills changes well besides the damage because was thinking while its barrel will be shorter then a rifle. it is on the longer side for a revolver. I kinda went off his gun >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_Research_BFR
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 08:36:43 PM by Azrael » Logged
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »

First of all, you should have looked at all of the rifles and weapons using the .45-70.  Sharps Model 1874, using .45-70, only does 4d+1 pi+ and the M1877 Bulldog only does 4d pi+.  You're probably better with a Dam of 3d+1 pi+.  

Pistols lose A LOT of power (with rifle rounds) due to the shorter barrel and the propellant not burning fully before the bullet leaves the barrel.

You're probably going to lose between 20-50% of your range.

Your ST should be 12 at least.  That round is 40% larger than the .50 AE (cartrdige wise) and would have a corresponding kick.  Rcl would probably be fine at 5.  After all, it only has a RoF of 1.

Your ammo should be 5 (3i) for a revolver.

Your Bulk for the pistol should be in line with the largest of pistols, so a -4.

Cost, probably about 2x that of the rifle.

However, if you really want to do it right . . . look at the Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull and just use that.
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 08:48:16 PM »

Well the pistols in use for the game will be:

Revolvers
.45-70 Revolver.                       dam    acc      range        weight  rof  ammo      st   bulk   rcl   cost   LC
.45-70 Hunting Revolver            4d pi+ 1    329/2,100    5.6/0.3    1    5(3i)      13†  -4      5    $1300   3

Webley Mk III Police & Civilian, .38 S&W pg12 of High tech pulp guns 1.
S&W .44 Hand Ejector, .44 Special pg 12 again same book.
S&W .357 Magnum, .357 Magnum pg 12 again same book.

Semi-auto.
Colt Government, .45 ACP pg21 of the same book.
FN-Browning HP, 9¥19mm pg 21 of same book.

and after this I hit three more snags with the pistols. The 10mm, 12.7mm and the 5.56. The last ones just a cut down and modified rile. with a pistol grip. XD so I think if I can locate what rifle and just ajust the stats like last time it shouldn't be too hard.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 09:05:57 PM »

You're making the revolver 2-handed?

Do you have High Tech?  There are a lot of weapons that have 10mm and .40 cal stats.

Honestly, I wouldn't import the more bizarre, goofy guns from Fallout--it's not worth it.  Just use High Tech and you should be golden.  There are more guns in there than Fallout could include.

For ICBINE (which is a mix between Shadowrun, Deadlands and Fallout), I'm just using High Tech . . . and other guns that the party are trying to figure out.

How did Dave put it?  "You'll never hear me say this again: get the magic rifle!"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length