+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  Fallout GURPS edition. XD well hopefuly.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fallout GURPS edition. XD well hopefuly.  (Read 4379 times)
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2014, 09:48:07 PM »

How did Dave put it?  "You'll never hear me say this again: get the magic rifle!"

DAVE: [quietly] All right, guys. You're not going to hear me say this a lot, so listen up: I want you to go in my shit in the back of the truck, get out the ghost rock rifle, and load it.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 10:10:35 PM »

Might have to see about launching the next season of ICBINE.
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 10:23:43 PM »

Again your very right and I am way over thinking this shit x.x alright then I will change some of my before posts. Though we do need to pick out a few armors to have that will at least keep with that theme. armors are iconic in that game and really make some of the groups like the brotherhood and enclave stand out hard from the crowd. The enclave gave some serious bonuses from their armor like +4ST(or +8ST in GURPS as GURPS goes from 1-20 and Fallouts special system is 1-10) and extreme radiation resist to the point that you could be immune to it with their higher MK armors. All power armor makes you immune to gas weapons. They also weigh much less then they should to their owners with 100+ year battery life on most of them.

There is the T-45D, T-51B, Enclave MK1, Enclave MK2, Enclave Tesla MK1, Enclave Tesla MK2, and the Enclave hellfire power armors.

Some of the normal armors avalible are the Leather Jacket, Leather jacket with metal plate reinforcements, Hardened Leather, Hardened Leather with metal plates, Metal armor light, Metal armor medium, metal armor Heavy, Combat armor MK1, combat armor MK2, Combat armor MK3, Brotherhood combat armor(seems to be lighter then the others yet has higher energy resist as well.) and Enclave armored science suit( has light rad resist and gas immunity.).
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 10:48:28 PM »

Well, the basic powered armor, which I think is the T-51B, is simple:  it's TL9 Powered Combat Armor.  Full Stop.  From there, you modify it to make the others.  Don't reinvent the wheel.  Don't over-work yourself.

We have Leather Jackets in GURPSLow Tech has all the rules you'll need for the non-high-tech armor, and between it and UltraTech you should be able to finagle the rest--if you even feel the need to bother and not use the GURPS stuff whole-cloth.

Fallout is a computer game where inventory management isn't nearly as important as following the story.  In a pnprpg the actual numbers become relevant.

I have all of the Fallout games (1, 2, BoS, 3 and New Vegas).  You can get the first three at GOG.com fairly cheap (if anyone's looking to care).

My Heavy Gear conversion taught me a major lesson.  I'm going to replace Heavy Gear with Fallout in the explanation.

You won't ever get GURPS to be Fallout.  The two games have different design philosophies and different goals.  What you have to look at is which philosophy and goal do you want for each major point of the game.  If you want the Fallout version, then you're making a lot of stuff up, and hoping you can shoehorn it into GURPS.  It's easier to look at what GURPS has done, and work backwards from that.  That's not to say that you won't wind up making something up, but its a lot easier when you don't have to.

At the end of the day, all that matters is: is it fun?

Matt and I eat conversions for breakfast.  We don't always agree on them (Star Wars anyone?), but we can usually talk through it.  But, we usually set our sights on taking the "feeling" of the source material and figuring out how to make that work with the internal mechanics of GURPS.

For Heavy Gear I had to decide how close I wanted to emulate the source material, and decided that I was more interested in making it playable under GURPS.  I had to invent some new rules, because the numbers from Heavy Gear just don't add up when looked at any other way (hell, they don't even add up within their own game!).

I think my conversion is fun.  It's a far cry better than the D20 version (which requires characters to be Level 8 before they can actually pilot a Gear due to the number of feats required) and actually plays smoother than the DP9 version (because we understand that bell-curves work better than exponential ramps).

But, keep KISS in mind every time.  And don't be afraid to fail.
Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 01:59:25 AM »

Well I have noticed though in the old games the DR of power armor went like this from weakest to strongest.

T-45D, T-51B, Hardened T-51B, Enclave armor, Hardened Enclave armor, Tesla armor, Hardened Tesla, Hellfire, Hardened Hellfire.

TL Armor                         Location    DR    Cost            Weight       Power    LC
9 Powered Combat Armor         all       70/50    $80,000       150       E/18 hr.    1
+ Helmet                             head       70/50    +$10,000    15       C/18 hr.    1

These are the armors stats. so I was thinking of giving the higher up armors a little boost and the hardened armor being well hardened. XD The T-45D on the other hand will get a slight nerf in armor as its a lesser armor from before the war. The T-51B on the other hand was peek before the end of the war. All enclave armor is post war and well advanced beyond the T-51B. Most of the systems in the powered-combat-armor. are in the power armor of fallout shockingly it seems this armor almost was made to mimic fallouts armor in some ways. o-o Not sure on the boosts though will 5DR or so make a huge difference or should i add more or less? though the later armors almost seem lighter because of the sudden switch in materials. o-o Also later armors had much better strength bonuses +2ST and - 2DX on the T-45D, T-51B had a +3ST no pen, The enclave armor had +6ST, Tesla would have had +4ST and hellfire being what it should be has a +6ST but thats in the fallout universe where ST only goes to 10 and so double these to get the bonuses that I intend to put into the game besides the pen on T-45D leave that at -2DX for now. ALso if you agree the on the +5DR then enclave will have 75/55DR?, Tesla will have 80/60DR and hell fire will have 85/65DR. This is just a eyeballing for the moment. might need some testing. Not sure how much radiation resistance each better armor should have. not as familar with radiation in GURPS.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 03:08:29 AM by Azrael » Logged
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 06:34:35 AM »

Most of the systems in the powered-combat-armor. are in the power armor of fallout shockingly it seems this armor almost was made to mimic fallouts armor in some ways. o-o

Long story short, Fallout originally had a deal with Steve Jackson Games to use the actual GURPS game mechanics and crunchy stuff like equipment straight out of the books, but the deal fell through, so they changed just enough to avoid getting sued and used it anyway, totally ripping off Steve Jackson Games. So yeah, there are a lot of similarities.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 12:13:35 PM »

Radiation resistance of /2 or /5 should be sufficient.

I would avoid hardened armor.  That would quickly break the game.  A Blaster rifle doing 6d (5) burn, would only be doing 6d (3) with one level of hardening, and would discover that the armor is much tougher, though non-energy-based weapons wouldn't have any additional trouble.  More than one level of hardening and energy weapons have no chance to ever penetrate.

As for increasing the DR, I'd jump it by +10/+5.  So Enclave would be 80/55, Tesla would be 90/60, etc.

But, really, the way Fallout armor works, it's less DR than it is IT:DR.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 01:05:25 PM »

Though at high TLs in 4e UT, IT:DR and Hardened are almost synonymous. Each TL of standard ray guns gets the same dice per gun model, with a better armor divisor, and then outliers are presented with alternate special effects.

Azrael

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 02:42:25 PM »

Well then it makes alot of sense that they would keep all the stuff they made for it after getting screwed like that. x.x in the hardened entries I am only posting the changes to stats.examp (T-45DH) ST is lifting and striking only. DR in () are vs Laser, plasma, and fire weapons.

T-45D: 60/45, PF 2, +ST6, -DX2
T-45DH:60/45(70/50), PF3
T-51B: 70/50, PF 5, +ST8
T-51BH: 70/50(80/55), PF7
Enclave:80/55, PF7, +ST10
EnclaveH: 80/55(90/60), PF10,
Tesla: 80/55(90/60),  PF10 +ST8
TeslaH: 80/55(100/65), PF 12
EnclaveMK2: 90/60, PF10, +ST10
EnclaveMK2H: 90/60(100/65), PF12
TeslaMK2:90/60(100/65), PF12, +ST10
TeslaMK2H:90/60(110/70), PF15
Hellfire:100/65(110/70), PF15, +ST12
HellfireH:100/65(120/75), PF18

Most enclave power armor also can have many visual modes. Thermal, Night, Infrared, and FEV scanner. All power armor has most of the gear said in the Ultra tech book as follows. Biomedical sensors(p. 187) and a waste relief system (p. 187) are standard features. The suit’s surface has a tactical ESM(p. 62). The helmet comes with a filter mask (p. 177), hearing protection (p. 171), a small radio. It provides climate
control (-30° F to 150°F),  Powered combat armor can incorporate infrared cloaking (p. 99). Chameleon surfaces (pp. 98-99) are rare and not standard but must be custom made.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:14:55 PM by Azrael » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length