+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Table Talk
| | |-+  GURPS 4e Shadowrun Conversion
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GURPS 4e Shadowrun Conversion  (Read 22835 times)
Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2009, 10:30:19 AM »

GURPS Shadowrun:

Inspired by the discussion here, this is my 4e GURPS Shadowrun write-up, drawing upon my memories of the source, work by some of the SJG forumites credited where due, and any suggestions you guys may have for customization to the taste of this group.

Setting: Planet Earth, The Year 2059

Genre: 1980s Gibsonian Cyberpunk + Some Tolkienist Fantasy Chrome

Style: Flamboyantly Cinematic

Tech Level: More or less 9, with some 9^ in the realm of personal cybernetic enhancements and the spin-off tech (medical, materials, power, etc) that makes it function.

Available Power Groups: There is only one supernatural power source, Magic, but you can come at it a few different ways (see below).

House Rules: Multiplicative Modifiers are strongly recommended (alternate pricing given as indicated, see Powers p 102), to equalize cost with utility in a setting where most powers (magic and cyber) will be heavily enhanced but have one or two limitations that shut them down completely.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:03:46 PM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 10:44:09 AM »

Magic:

Magic will be handled with Spells-As-Powers; Magic Talent costs 10/Level. There are three main functions of magic: Spellcasting, Conjuring, and Astral Perception/Travel. By default, all abilities associated with these are all accessible to any Hermetic Mage or Shaman who buys adequate levels of the full-price Talent. A Mage or Shaman who can only perform one of the above functions has the Talent with a -50% limitation. A -50% limitation on Magic Talent also applies to Physical Adepts, whose powers receive a version of the Magical power mod, but who are not otherwise connected to other magics.

Power Mods:

Magical -10%: This applies to all Spellcasting and Astral Perception/Travel undertaken by Hermetic Mages, to all powers acquired by Physical Adepts, and to all Conjuration powers undertaken by Hermetic Mages or Shamans (the difficulties of dealing with spirits is handled separately in the pricing of the Conjuring powers, where dealing with spirits is the whole point). This works exactly as described in Powers, responding to high, low, and no mana areas, subject to magical countermeasures, etc.

Spirit -15%: This applies to all Spellcasting and Astral Perception/Travel undertaken by Shamans. It includes the standard -10% for all of the above Magical limitations, plus an additional -5% for Pact (Disciplines of Faith: Ritualism), -5% for loss of powers at the worst possible time if the spirits are angered, and +5% for easy amends. The standard -20% for randomized fickleness suggested in Powers will not be in use, but individual powers may be fickle at the player's option.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »

Spellcasting: Each magic spell is handled as a separate ability, but a few common types tend to show up in the same form across widespread individuals. Most spells cost 1+ FP, and the Takes Extra Time and Requires Concentrate limitations are very common. Hermetic Mages apply the Magical -10% power mod to their spells. Shamans apply the house version of the Spirit -15% power mod (see above) to theirs, and possibly other modifiers depending on their specific totem.

Conjuration: Check this thread out at the big forum for Shadowrun-style Conjuration, if you want to mess with all that hoo-hah instead of just blowing stuff up. AFAICT Kelly Pedersen's work-up there is accurate to Shadowrun, and is what I was thinking for how I would do it in GURPS. Exception: I see no reason to slap a whopping -80% limitation on conjuration slots that can only be used to summon Watcher spirits. Watcher spirits are already low in point value because of their limited uses, and people can and do want to summon them anyway, so I'm calling it a -20% Access to match what I'm giving a slot limited to any other specific category of spirit (eg: Animal, Man, Fire Elementals, etc).

Astral Perception / Travel: A small group of distinct powers detailed below. Use the same power mods as spellcasting.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 11:32:27 AM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:57:48 PM »

Spell List (Offensive):

Power Bolt / Power Ball:

Effect: Innate Attack (1d Crushing) (Accurate X3 +15%, Double Knockback +20%, Explosion X1 +50%, Increased 1/2D Range X10 +15%, Selectivity +10%, Variable +5%, Costs 1 FP/Use -5%, Magical -10%) [10/Level] [MM: 9.1375/Level]

Prerequisite: Magic Talent X 1 / 3 Levels (up to 12d damage at Talent 4).

Notes: This spell produces a bolt of crushing or powerfully explosive force with a single round of concentration, destroying people and objects to a 100-yard range. Shamans get the -15% Spirit Power Mod instead of Magical -10%, but may add +1 Accuracy for spiritual guidance or a fancy Homing Enhancement with a targeting method suited to the primary sense of the Shaman's totem (eg: Night Vision for Cat, Sonar for Bat, Smell for Dog) at their option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stun Bolt / Stun Ball:

Effect: Innate Attack (1d Crushing) (Accurate X3 +15%, Affects Insubstantial +20%, Armor Divisor 3 w/ Access: Not Vs Magic +80%, Explosion X1 +50%, Increased 1/2D Range X10 +15%, Selectivity +10%, Side Effect: Stunning +50%, Variable +5%, Access: Living Beings and Spirits Only -20%, Costs 1 FP/Use -5%, Magical -10%, No Blunt Trauma -20%, No Wounding -50%) [12/Level] [MM: 3.45/Level]

Notes: This spell produces a bolt or explosion of magical force that shakes living and spiritual beings up and knocks them around without lasting harm, while leaving inanimate objects and machines completely untouched. Shamans get the -15% Spirit Power Mod instead of Magical -10%, but may add +1 Accuracy for spiritual guidance or a fancy Homing Enhancement with a targeting method suited to the primary sense of the Shaman's totem (eg: Night Vision for Cat, Sonar for Bat, Smell for Dog) at their option.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mana Bolt / Mana Ball:

Effect: Innate Attack (1d Toxic) (Accurate X3 +15%, Affects Insubstantial +20%, Cosmic: Ignores DR w/ Access: Not Vs Magic +240%, Explosion X1 +50%, Increased 1/2D Range X10 +15%, Low Signature +10%, Selectivity +10%, Variable +5%, Costs 1 FP/Use -5%, Magical -10%) [18/Level] [MM: 15.81/Level]

Prerequisite: Magic Talent X 1 / Level (up to 4d damage at Talent 4).

Notes: This spell produces a bolt or explosion of deadly magical energy that injures and kills living and spiritual beings subtly, in a manner easy for a layman to mistake for natural causes, while leaving inanimate objects and machines unharmed. It completely ignores non-magical armor. Shamans get the -15% Spirit Power Mod instead of Magical -10%, but may add +1 Accuracy for spiritual guidance or a fancy Homing Enhancement with a targeting method suited to the primary sense of the Shaman's totem (eg: Night Vision for Cat, Sonar for Bat, Smell for Dog) at their option.

Wreck (Object Type):

Effect: Innate Attack (1d Corrosive) (Accurate X3 +15%, Explosion X1 +50%, Increased 1/2D Range X10 +15%, Selectivity +10%, Variable +5%, Access: Any 1 Object Type at a Time -0%, Access: Inanimate Objects and Machines Only -20%, Costs 1 FP/Use -5%, Magical -10%) [16/Level] [MM: 12.675/Level]

Notes: This suite of spells obliterates specific objects (eg: Wreck Guns, Wreck Cars, Wreck Pacemakers, etc), chosen by the caster at the time of use. For game purposes this is a single power, and the advantages and disadvantages of getting to specifically target a single object type and having to target a specific object type with each use balance out. Shamans get the -15% Spirit Power Mod instead of Magical -10%, but may add +1 Accuracy for spiritual guidance or a fancy Homing Enhancement with a targeting method suited to the primary sense of the Shaman's totem (eg: Night Vision for Cat, Sonar for Bat, Smell for Dog) at their option.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:49:22 PM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 08:03:11 PM »

Metahuman Templates:

Cobbled together out of my own memories and about a bazillion different attempts at the big forum. This is easily the most popular and debated relevant subtopic for some reason.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dwarves [41]:

Attributes: ST +1 [10]; HT +3 [30];

Secondary: SM -1 [X]; Speed -1.0 [-20]; Move -1 [-5]; HP +2 [4]; Will +1 [5];

Advantages: Extended Lifespan X1 [2]; Infravision [10]; Lifting ST +2 [6];

Disadvantages: Social Stigma (Dwarf) [-1];

Notes: Social Stigma (Dwarf) is like a very lite version of Social Stigma (Minor); people may know that an individual Dwarf is a responsible adult, but it doesn't feel intuitive. They are a popular target of Intolerance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elves [47]:

Attributes: DX +1 [20];

Advantages: Appearance (Attractive) [4]; Extended Lifespan X2 [4]; Night Vision X5 [5]; Talent X1 (Smooth Operator) [15];

Disadvantages: Social Stigma (Elf) [-1];

Notes: Social Stigma (Elf) is like a very lite version of Social Stigma (Minority Group); people tend to assume that they are conspiring together. They are a popular target of Intolerance.

Orks [11]:

Attributes: ST +3 [30]; IQ -1 [-20]; HT +3 [30];

Secondary: Speed -0.75 [-15]; HP +2 [4]; Willpower +1 [5];

Advantages: Night Vision X5 [5];

Disadvantages: Appearance (Ugly) [-8]; Short Lifespan X1 [-10]; Social Stigma (Ork) [-10];

Features: Born Biter +1 [00]; Increased Fecundity [00];

Notes: Social Stigma (Ork) is functionally identical to Social Stigma (Minority Group); people tend to assume that they are violent and stupid. They are a popular target of Intolerance.

Trolls [70]:

Attributes: ST +7 (Size -10%) [63]; DX -1 [-20]; IQ -1 [-20]; HT +3 [30];

Secondary: SM +1 [X]; Speed -0.50 [-10]; Move +1 [5]; HP +5 (Size -10%) [9];

Advantages: DR 3 (Tough Skin -40%) [9]; Infravision [10]; Lifting ST +4 (Size -10%) [11]; Long Arms +1 X2 [20]; Striker (Crushing Horns) (Can't Parry -40%, Front Only -40%) [1];

Disadvantages: Appearance (Ugly) [-8]; Increased Consumption X1 [-10]; Short Lifespan X1 [-10]; Social Stigma (Troll) [-10];

Notes: Social Stigma (Troll) is functionally identical to Social Stigma (Minority Group); people tend to assume that they are violent and stupid. They are a popular target of Intolerance. Individuals with pointy horns at a useful angle may convert their Striker to Impaling for [+1] point. Individuals with advanced dermal calcification may convert their DR from Tough Skin -40% to Flexible -20% for [+3] points. Individuals with extreme dermal calcification may convert their DR from Tough Skin -40% to unmodified and add the Striking Surface perk for [+7] points, and often develop Spines [1], and/or Ham-Fisted X1 [-5], and/or Numb [-20] also.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 01:42:06 PM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

zorper
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »

Spell List:

Power Bolt / Power Ball:

Effect: Innate Attack (1d Crushing) (Accurate X4 +20%, Double Knockback +20%, Explosion X1 +50%, Increased 1/2D Range X10 +15%, Selectivity +10%, Variable +5%, Costs 1 FP/Use -10%, Magical -10%) [10/Level]

So these are self contained elements?  Meaning that you can just pay 10 points per level on these?  If so, that makes it a lot easier.  Except that I'll have to look up how each of these modifiers work.

Thanks for making this list.  I understand the whole magic as powers better now.

What about the astral travel?  Is that a power as well?
Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 02:45:48 AM »

So these are self contained elements?  Meaning that you can just pay 10 points per level on these?  If so, that makes it a lot easier. 

Each of the attack abilities that I built are a self-contained pair with its price per die of damage after all modifiers listed (for example: 10/level for the Power Bolt/Ball combo because it's just a base 5-point Crushing IA with a net +100% in enhancements and limitations). These allow the spellcaster to choose between the regular and exploding versions as a free action, which I know isn't 100% true to the source, but you'd pay more for less buying exploding and non-exploding separately, and who doesn't want both, really?

A spellcaster who learns more than one attack ability (or more than one very similar ability of any type) can and probably will take all but the most expensive one as Alternate Abilities of the primary for a very significant point break of 1/5 cost after all normal modifiers, with the drawbacks that he has to take a Ready action to switch between the available options and loses them all if one is somehow disabled. Example: Bob the Rat Shaman has Talent X4 and can learn whatever spells he wants. He'd like to play against stereotype and be a walking artillery piece, so he picks up the maximum 12 Dice in his Stun Bolt/Ball for 144 points, and then takes a 12d Power Bolt/Ball as an Alternate Ability to it for a mere 24 points instead of the 120 it would normally cost him.

Except that I'll have to look up how each of these modifiers work.

Almost everything in this thread so far is pretty basic stuff straight out of 4e Characters, except for one basic concept from Powers (power talents + modifiers). We probably shouldn't copy that much RAW text here, but the effects are loosely described in the notes section and my detailed personal interpretations of the basic text and interactions are available on request if anything there isn't clear.

Thanks for making this list.  I understand the whole magic as powers better now.

No problemo. I like the default Spells-As-Skills system, and I think it works for some settings, but I really think Powers is the way to go on this one. More to follow when I get around to it. :]

What about the astral travel?  Is that a power as well?

Yes, it will go after the header Astral Perception / Travel above, when I get it done. I reviewed the various builds at the forum, but nothing there is exactly what I want for this. It'll have to be an option for Mages and Shamans rather than a standard feature because of the sheer expense involved in a fair and balanced pricing of it, unless we want to force all of them to sink most of their starting points into that one specific thing.

Brian
Administrator

Nil Gaeilge maith agam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 05:51:40 AM »

The new GURPS Psionic Powers PDF has a whole section on Astral Travel/Viewing, and all that it entails. I'm on my way out the door right now, but I'll try posting more on that later tonight.

~Brian

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" ~ Jorge Luis Borges
Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 10:29:48 AM »

The new GURPS Psionic Powers PDF has a whole section on Astral Travel/Viewing, and all that it entails. I'm on my way out the door right now, but I'll try posting more on that later tonight.

How closely does it fit the source material? I'm about 90% done with my version...

Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 05:22:02 PM »

Spell List (Defensive):

Magic Shield:

Effect: Improved Magic Resistance X2 (Affects Others +50%, Area Effect: 2 Yards +50%, Force Field +20%, Selectivity +10%, Costs 2 FP/Minute -10%, Magical -10%) [21/Level] [MM: 18.4/Level] + DR 10 (Affects Others +50%, Area Effect: 2 Yards +50%, Force Field +20%, Selectivity +10%, Access: Only While Magic Resistance Is On -10%, Magical -10%, Vs Energy Only -20%, Vs Magic Only -20%, Vs Ranged Only -20%) [75/Level] [MM: 23/Level] = [96/Level] [MM: 41.4/Level]

Prerequisite: Magic Talent 1 / Level (Up to Resistance +8 and DR 40 at Talent 4)

Notes: This spell protects the spellcaster from ranged magical energy attacks and resistible spells on his person and optionally on everyone around him. Requires Concentration -15% or Requires Ready -10% may be added to some or all levels of this power or to the Affects Others and Area Effect enhancements, but is not required. A larger Area Effect is common at Talent 3+. Shamans swap out the Magical -10% power mod for Spirit -15%, paying [93/Level] [MM: 40.25/Level] instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Projectile Shield:

Effect: Enhanced Dodge +1 (Affects Others +50%, Area Effect: 2 Yards +50%, Force Field +20%, Selectivity +10%, Costs 2 FP/Minute -10%, Magical -10%, Vs Physical Only -20%, Vs Ranged Only -20% [25.5/Level] [MM: 13.8/Level] + DR 10 (Affects Others +50%, Area Effect: 2 Yards +50%, Force Field +20%, Selectivity +10%, Access: Only While Enhanced Dodge Is On -10%, Magical -10%, Vs Physical Only -20%, Vs Ranged Only -20%) [85/Level] [MM: 46/Level] = [110.5/Level] [MM: 59.8/Level]

Prerequisite: Magic Talent 1 / Level (Up to Dodge +4 and DR 40 at Talent 4)

Notes: This spell protects the spellcaster from ranged physical attacks on his person and optionally on everyone around him. It is very limited against direct hits from modern firearms, but is quite effective against frag and collateral damage from explosions, and will often deflect glancing shots entirely. Requires Ready -10% may be added to some or all levels of this power or to the Affects Others and Area Effect enhancements, but is not required. A larger Area Effect is common at Talent 3+. Shamans swap out the Magical -10% power mod for Spirit -15%, paying [107.25/Level] [MM: 52.325/Level] instead.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 05:58:06 PM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Brian
Administrator

Nil Gaeilge maith agam

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 06:17:13 PM »

Here is the write up from GURPS Psionic Powers.

~Brian

Astral Travel

28/36/48/56/68/80 points for levels 1-6

Skill: Astral Travel (IQ/Hard).

By concentrating for a certain activation time (see table) and making a skill roll, you can send your mind onto the outer astral plane, forming an “astral body” there that follows the rules under The Astral Plane(p. 27). This leaves your physical body unconscious and helpless until you return. You do not bring any equipment with you. You may “clothe” yourself as you wish, but it offers no protection.

You may stay on the astral plane for a given duration(see table) before you automatically snap back into your body. (Exception: If you are on the inner astral plane or otherwise cannot snap back, you take 1d injury immediately and again every five minutes instead.) This duration is always measured in realtime – every 10 minutes spent on the inner astral plane counts as one minute of actual use. Once you come back, your body must adjust to the change – you cannot project again for at least five minutes.

At level 6, you can remain astral indefinitely, though you must still sleep and your physical body requires food and drink. (See Additional Astral Projection Abilities, p. 30, for ways around this.) You may also jump right back into the astral plane without the five-minute wait.

Level    Act. Time           Duration
   1            10 minutes    30 minutes
   2            1 minute            30 minutes
   3            1 minute            1 hour
   4            4 seconds            1 hour
   5            2 seconds            12 hours
   6            1 second            Indefinitely

Statistics: Insubstantiality (Astral Projection, -10%; Ghost Air, +10%; Immediate Preparation Required, 10 minutes, -45%; Maximum Duration, 30 min, -25%; Nuisance Effect, Especially susceptible to psi static and mental fields, -5%; Projection, -50%; Substantial Communication, +40%) [16] + Invisibility (Accessibility, Only on the astral plane, -30%; Astral Projection, -10%; Substantial Only, -10%; Temporary Disadvantage, Mute with Substantial Only, -22%) [12]. Features: Ground Move is equal to skill/2 and appearance is fuzzy and translucent while insubstantial. Further levels only alter Insubstantiality, reducing Immediate Preparation Required to 1 minute [24 + 12], then reducing Maximum Duration to 1 hour [36 + 12], then replace Immediate Preparation Required with Takes Extra Time 2 [44 + 12], then reduce Takes Extra Time to 1 and Maximum Duration to 12 hours [56 + 12], and then remove Takes Extra Time and Maximum Duration [68 + 12].

"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library" ~ Jorge Luis Borges
Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 06:46:05 PM »

Here is the write up from GURPS Psionic Powers.

That looks good and functional, but how close is it to the "feel" of the home mechanics? I'm not really concerned with translating the system, but it needs to have the same aesthetics and functionality IMHO. IIRC we'll need to drop the Preparation limitations, for example. Anybody who's more familiar with SR Magic than I am have an opinion? (And additional spell suggestions, while we're at it... I only remember the obvious basics like blasting the crap out of people).

Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »

Shamanic Totems (Urban):

Cat: Shamans of Cat have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers. Jealousy and Selfishness are common but not required. They most often specialize in Perception or Stealth magic.

Dog: Shamans of Dog have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers, and are additionally required to take Sense of Duty (Friends, Family, and Shamans of Dog) and another Pact corresponding to that. Violating either requirement will see them stripped of all power, but they get -20% for their Spirit power mod as compensation. Chummy is common but not required. They most often specialize in Communication or Perception magic.

Pigeon: Shamans of Pigeon have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers. Chummy and Gluttony are common but not required. They most often specialize in Communication or Movement magic.

Rat: Shamans of Rat have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers, and are additionally required to take Vow (Never Live Above Status -2) and another Pact corresponding to that. They may covet and even amass wealth, but may never spend it to attain any kind of social importance or creature comforts. Violating either requirement will see them stripped of all power, but they get -25% for their Spirit power mod as compensation. OPH -1 (Poor Hygiene) and Cowardice are common but not required. They most often specialize in Perception or Stealth magic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shamanic Totems (Wild):

Bat: Shamans of Bat have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers. Nearsighted is common but not required. They most often specialize in Movement or Stealth magic.

Coyote: Shamans of Coyote have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers. Intolerance (Authority Figures) and Trickster are common but not required. They most often specialize in Perception or Stealth magic.

Owl: Shamans of Owl have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers. Bloodlust and Loner are common but not required. They most often specialize in Offensive or Stealth magic.

Rabbit: Shamans of Rabbit have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers. Lecherousness and Cowardice are common but not required. They most often specialize in Perception or Stealth magic.

Raven: Shamans of Raven have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers. Kleptomania and Trickster are common but not required. They most often specialize in Movement or Perception magic.

Snake: Shamans of Snake have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers. Hidebound and Deafness are common but not required. They most often specialize in Communication or Stealth magic.

Tortoise: Shamans of Tortoise have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers. Hidebound and Cowardice are common but not required. They most often specialize in Communication or Defensive magic.

Wolf: Shamans of Wolf have the normal Disciplines of Faith Pact on their powers, and are additionally required to take Code of Honor (Pirate's) and another Pact corresponding to that. Violating either requirement will see them stripped of all power, but they get -20% for their Spirit power mod as compensation. Chummy is common but not required. They most often specialize in Offensive or Perception magic.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 09:19:41 AM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »

Spell List (Perception):

Enhanced Hearing:

Effect: Level 1: Discriminatory Hearing (Costs 1 FP/Minute -5%, Magical -10%) [13]. Level 2: Acute Hearing X10 (Access: While Discriminatory Hearing Is On -10%, Magical -10%) [16]. Level 3: Protected Hearing (Access: While Discriminatory Hearing Is On -10%, Magical -10%) [4] + Subsonic Hearing (Access: While Discriminatory Hearing Is On -10%, Magical -10%) [4] + Ultrahearing (Access: While Discriminatory Hearing Is On -10%, Magical -10%) [4] = [12]. Level 4: Scanning Sense (Sonar) (Access: While Discriminatory Hearing Is On -10%, Magical -10%) [16].

Prerequisite: Magic Talent X1 / Level

Notes: This spell enhances the sense of hearing. At the highest level of talent it can almost completely replace vision. Shamans swap out Magical -10% for Spirit -15% and pay [12, 15, 12, and 15].

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enhanced Smell:

Effect: Level 1: Discriminatory Smell (Costs 1 FP/Minute -5%, Magical -10%) [13]. Level 2: Acute Taste/Smell X10 (Access: While Discriminatory Smell Is On -10%, Magical -10%) [16].  Level 3: Add the Empathy +50% Enhancement to Discriminatory Smell [+8] [MM: +6] + Protected Smell (Access: While Discriminatory Smell Is On -10%, Magical -10%) [4] = [+12] [MM: +10]. Level 4: Psychometry (Access: While Discriminatory Smell Is On -10%, Magical -10%, Sense-Based: Smell -20%) [12].

Notes: This spell enhances the sense of smell. At the highest levels of talent, it can detect emotions or even odors that are no longer physically present. Shamans swap out Magical -10% for Spirit -15% and pay [12, 15, +11/+9, and 11].

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enhanced Vision:

Effect: Level 1: Acute Vision X10 (Costs 1 FP/Minute -5%, Magical -10%) [17]. Level 2: Add Protected Vision (Access: While Acute Vision Is On -10%, Magical -10%) [4]. Level 3: Add Telescopic Vision X2 (Access: While Acute Vision Is On -10%, Magical -10%) [8]. Level 4: Add Hyperspectral Vision (Access: While Acute Vision Is On -10%, Magical -10%) [20].

Notes: This spell enhances the sense of vision. At the highest levels of talent, only astral objects and beings escape the spellcaster's notice. Shamans swap out Magical -10% for Spirit -15% and pay [16, 4, 8, and 19].

Spell List (Communication):

Popularity:

Effect: Level 1: Charisma X2 (Costs 1 FP/Minute -5%, Glamour vs Will -30%, Magical -10%) [6]. Level 2: Add another Charisma X2 and make the Glamour on all levels vs Will -2 -20% [+7]. Level 3: Add another Charisma X2 and make the Glamour on all levels vs Will -4 -10% [+10].  Level 4: Remove Glamour and Costs Fatigue from all levels. At this level, it just works unless blocked or deprived of mana. [+4].

Notes: Shamans swap out Magical -10% for Spirit -15% and pay [5, +7, +9, and +5].

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Receive Thoughts:

Effect: Level 1: Mind Reading (Costs 1 FP/Minute -5%, Magical -10%, Sensory Only -20%) [20]. Level 2: Remove the Sensory Only Limitation and Add the Sensory +20% Enhancement [+14] [MM: +11]. Level 3: Add the Universal +50% Enhancement [+15] [MM: +13]. Level 4: Mind Probe (Universal +50%, Costs 1 FP/Minute -5%, Magical -10%) [27] [MM: 26].

Notes: Shamans swap out Magical -10% for Spirit -15% and pay [18, +14/+11, +15/+12, and 26/24].

Send Thoughts:

Effect: Level 1: Telecommunication (Telesend) (Costs 1 FP/Minute -5%, Magical -10%, Vague -50%) [11]. Level 2: Remove the Vague Limitation [+15]. Level 3: Add the Broadcast +50% Enhancement [+15] [MM: +13]. Level 4: Add the Universal +50% Enhancement [+15] [MM: +12].

Notes: Shamans swap out Magical -10% for Spirit -15% and pay [9, +15, +15/+12, and +15/+12].
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:20:56 PM by Gold & Appel Inc » Logged

Gold & Appel Inc
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 10:25:58 AM »

Okay, I've read Psionic Powers (sorry it took so long, this month has kicked my ass in too many ways to list) insofar as it relates to Astral Viewing and Projection. It looks pretty good to go for our Shadowrun purposes, with three exceptions:

1) I want to condense it down to 4 levels, to be consistent with the 4 levels corresponding to Magic Talent 1-4 that I gave spellcasting.

2) I want to reduce or eliminate the reliance on YANS and "power stunts," which improve flexibility a little too much in this case IMHO.

3) I want to model Dual Natured accurately, and I differ from the consensus at the big forum in that I think that it should be a Temporary Disadvantage limitation on Astral Viewing and a full-time Disadvantage on creatures that exist in the astral and physical simultaneously, such as ghouls and dragons. It has benefits, because a Dual-Natured being can attack an astral being from the physical world, but its drawbacks are IMHO greater because the Dual-Natured being can not only be attacked from both "sides" but is also obstructed by both physical and astral barriers and uses the worst available "physics" for movement (eg: No defying gravity just because you're technically Insubstantial). The easy way to do this would be to ballpark a flat value (say for example -10% / -10) and apply it in the ways described above. The complicated way to do it would be to price out the Affects Insubstantial enhancement on the being's Thrust damage as described in Powers and then subtract it from some still-mostly-arbitrary amount to determine the final value for each individual.

Any opinions?

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length