+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  GURPS
| |-+  Campaigns
| | |-+  How'd I wind up running Fantasy?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How'd I wind up running Fantasy?  (Read 3357 times)
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2015, 08:23:19 AM »

So, I hear you like some Warhammer... ;]

Also, that thing with the alabaster nudist minis and dick tentacle monsters and shit? Which genre would you place that in? Besides, "Fuck, no?"

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2015, 10:16:56 AM »

I do like Warhammer, but that's mostly Warhammer 40,000.  I used to play Warhammer but haven't kept up on it in decades.  When I use fantasy elements, I tend to take them from Warhammer because that's what I'm most familiar with.  I have four 40k armies, but only one Warhammer army, and it's not even close to being usable anymore.  My, old, Warhammer army consisted of the most technologically-advanced group using the most technologically-advanced weapons . . . usually to great hilarity when they exploded and went horribly, horribly wrong.  Warhammer is the fantasy version, and Warhammer 40,000 is the sci-fi version.

Kingdom Death: Monster is actually classified Gothic Horror--and I agree with that.  The only, real, fantasy elements is that it's very low tech level:  No magic, no other races, no hope.  Rule #0 for KD:M is "The Rule of Death."  Basically, if you ever have any ambiguity, you rule against the survivors (players).  It's a dark and gritty game that is stacked against you.  While there are no rules for magic, there are rules for insanity and mental disorders.  So, it's got more in common with Call of Cthulhu than any fantasy game I've ever seen.

Hell, our survivors are still figuring out how to make kids.  Out of three attempts, we've been successful twice (the first time ended in tragedy, the female survivor died and drove her mate insane).

To be honestly, one of the things I like about Warhammer (and 40k) is also the Gothic Horror aspect of it.  If you use magic (or are a Psyker, because it's the same thing) you are going to die, and probably go insane as well.  Period.  Full stop.  Magic/Psykers are Chaos-tainted and nothing good ever comes from that.  The world is out to get you.  Don't get too comfortable in  your handbasket . . . the trip isn't going to be that long.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »

This is only pertinent because of the previous discussion.

Someone just tried to tell me that ASoIaF is a lot like BattleTech, and I "would absolutely love it" because of that.

I just stared at them before asking:  "It has giant robots that people pilot to wage war across all of known space?  That would be awesome: BattleTech with graphic sex scenes.  Sign me up."

They weren't nearly as amused as I was.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 05:16:18 AM »

They were probably referring to the overall strongly-differentiated warring clans with WMDs theme.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 03:48:52 PM »

I get that.  I get that, if I were into BattleTech for the political intrigue and the warring families, ASoIaF would be right up my alley . . . but, since I'm in it for the giant stompy 'Mechs first and everything else second, it's not "a perfect fit."

I just figured you'd get a kick out of it.
tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2015, 06:35:58 AM »

Giant Toy Robots.

Now there's the genre I actively, intensely dislike.

Just, y'know, popping in to stir the pot.  Wink

"Our problem is, our plans never survive contact with US!" -Christopher Denny, veteran gamer, incorrigible punster.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »

Giant Toy Robots.

Now there's the genre I actively, intensely dislike.

See, I get that.  I wouldn't ask you to play/watch/participate in a game/movie/etc. with 'Mechs/Mecha.  I wouldn't recommend something, in that genre, to you unless it was played for funny (no examples), out-right bad (Robot Jox, the Heavy Gear cartoon, the BattleTech cartoon), or a deconstruction (Neon Genesis Evangelion or RahXephon).  Even then, I wouldn't be put off by you saying: "Um, thanks but no.  No interest."  I know a number of people who don't like the Giant Robot Genre, so, it's not really something I concern myself about.
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »

It's been a while, but I happened across this today.  It's germane to the discussion . . . and funny:

Epic Rap Battles of History
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 01:30:58 PM »

Oh, shit. That was probably the most even-sided epic rap battle of history that I've ever seen. Usually they kind of favor one, but that was good on both sides.

tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2016, 12:24:53 PM »

Some if it was hilarious.

And I'm more rock and roll than you've ever been!
Don't believe me? Ask Led Zeppelin!

"Our problem is, our plans never survive contact with US!" -Christopher Denny, veteran gamer, incorrigible punster.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2016, 05:52:26 PM »

I'm not going to say that this is why we broke up, because it was far from that, but my last ex-gf refused to believe that that song was about Lord of the Rings, and we had some words about it at least once.

Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2016, 06:01:26 PM »

Also this.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length