+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  Games That Are Not GURPS
| | |-+  Coup in Eve Online
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Coup in Eve Online  (Read 225 times)
Bill

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »

I know that Tom plays Eve Online while I don't.  But I was wondering what his take on this was:

Pretty Good Gaming news report
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 04:29:37 AM »

I'm an old internet acquaintance of a guy who pulled this off once, from my V:TM days fifteen years ago. The Mittani, as he is known, lead Goon Squad for a while, and pulled off an epic coup in Eve that is well-documented on the webs.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
tshiggins
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 10:03:26 PM »

I don't play EVE any longer. As noted in the video, it's like having a second job. You're expected to get online almost every night, and play at least two to four hours.  Shocked

That said, this is the sort of thing that happens in that game, from time to time, and it's what makes EVE a true "open world sandbox" game, in a way that no other game even comes close to matching.

To play EVE Online really well, players must be very smart and obsessively dedicated. The developer, CCP, made the deliberate decision, a long time ago, to facilitate emergent play in a very fundamental way, and this is the sort of stuff that can happen in a game where people are free to act as they will, with minimal interfence from the creators.

As a socio-economic model, EVE can and has provided a interesting insights into human behavior. While the fact that violence and death aren't really real, and that causes people to take risks they never would otherwise, the risk of measurable financial loss adds a certain element of intensity that no other game can match.

There's a saying in the EVE community that goes, "When someone leaves EVE Online to play World of Warcraft, the collective intelligence of the player communities in both games increases."

That's pretty snarky, but it points out a truth -- in EVE, there's no safety net. If you're in it, you have to play smarter than you play any other game, and that's incredibly addicting.

Good Eve Players (of which I was never one, particularly...) are the best gamers in the world, because they have to be. Cool

"Our problem is, our plans never survive contact with US!" -Christopher Denny, veteran gamer, incorrigible punster.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length