+  Denver GURPS Group Forum
|-+  Everything Else
| |-+  Vague Ramblings
| | |-+  3D Printer, takes seven and eight
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 3D Printer, takes seven and eight  (Read 349 times)
Bill

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »

I figured I should start a new one of these. 

Starting in December 2016 I started having trouble with my DaVinci Jr.  It was having some strange layering problems.  I was figuring it had something to do with temperature variation when Martin or Monica would let the dogs out.

Turns out, no, that wasn't the issue.  The self-calibrating head, while working fine, wasn't giving enough room between the extruder and the build plate.  This caused the filament to "back up" and stripped the feeder gear (this was determined through three different calls, including a skype video call to the manufacturer).  Seems that the minimum z-offset (the gap between the extruder and the build plate) should be 1.5mm.  The self-calibration usually had it around 0.9 and 1.0 mm.  Now, 0.5 mm doesn't seem like it's that big a deal, but it is.

Sucky, but, understandable.  I couldn't fix the printer, so, I bought a new one (and now have scads of spare parts . . .).  They had gone down in price on Amazon to $200.  Knowing to set the z-offset to 1.5mm suddenly made my prints happily pop off the build plate with just a little bit of work--no pliers required.  Heck, if you just sprayed it down with glass cleaner and gave it a minute, they might actually float off.

Also, in March, XYZPrinting (the people who made the printer) offered a special deal.  Buy a case of filament (12 cartridges, about $400 with shipping) and they'll give you a DaVinci 1.0a Printer free.  So, now I have two printers.  This helps when I want to crank out terrain.

The 1.0a has a larger build plate, but is less friendly to calibrate.  It also uses a proprietary cartridge (not a problem) and can print PLA, ABS and flex filament.  Granted, if you want to switch between the various materials, they recommend (as do I) that you'll want an extruder for each material (ABS is notoriously messy and flex is hard on the extruder).

The 1.0a is faster than the Jr.  And, overall, a better printer, but, the Jr. is easier to use and more user friendly.  We're getting there, people.  Soon, everyone will have a 3d Printer.

Oh, and Matt, I have a Cthulhu on the Cthoilet for you, finally.  It's not in GITD, but it is green.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 03:03:33 AM »

Oh, and Matt, I have a Cthulhu on the Cthoilet for you, finally.  It's not in GITD, but it is green.

Yay! :D

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 11:04:13 AM »

I don't know when I'm going to see you again . . ..  But, I have it ready for you.

Well, if you're going to be in Aurora this weekend, you could swing by.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 01:34:51 PM »

No rush, really. Nobody ever plays Cthulhu Wars with me anyway. It mostly exists as a subject of mockery for my girlfriend, because we play Scrabble and chess all the time and those come in two small boxes for less than $10. Speaking of which, I'm down for a game if you guys are interested.

Player | GM | Masochistic Setting-Adapter | Kallisti | Level 5 Cleric of the Cult of Stat Normalization - Stats For The Stat God! BELLS FOR THE BELL CURVE!
Bill

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 03:24:11 PM »

I suck at Scrabble.
Gold & Appel Inc
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 03:56:36 PM »

I'm average-to-okay at it, which means that I beat the new girl consistently. This is entertaining to me because she thinks she's smarter than I am (spoilers: she's not) and gets really mad when I win everything.

Bill

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 04:57:27 PM »

Last time I played Scrabble I got HIV.  The were the last three tiles . . ..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length